• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

struggling BII

.of no return

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought this 84 BII a year ago. Put in a remanufactured 2.8 from Ford. It ran like a champ for while, then the tranny started slipping. In march I got the tranny rebuilt. It ran well for a while then I started noticing a loss in power and it was leaking fluid. I've taken it back to the shop that did the rebuild and they slowed the leak but it hasn't stopped. They've told me its everything but the transmission. Does anybody have any insight as to what it
may be. I'm going to be doing the rest of the work myself and am learning as I go. Somebody please help, any ideas to help get this truck running solid would be greatly appreciated. I'll take all the advice I can get. Thanks

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
They can't figure out where or what the cause of the leak is?!?!

If the fluid dripping on the ground is "Red" then most likely it's either Transmission, or it could also be power steering. (some still used type-f fluid in the power steering systems)

Get a large chunk of cardboard. Big enough to cover from the radiator back to the rear of the transmission. Park the truck over it for a while. That should give you a general idea of where/what the leak could be. Keeping in mind that fluid will travel on pretty much anything and can be misleading. However this will tell you what color the fluid is, and the aprox location of the leak.

For the shop to have done something that "Slowed" the leak? Seems to me they know what the problem is, and need a customer service lesson. Sadly it might be time to take it to a few different transmission shops in your area and get their opinion of the problem. Most shops will preform a "Trans-Check" at little or no cost, and can point you in the right direction.

FYI: As a rule with auto rebuilding. Two types or 'standards' of rebuilding. Soft rebuilding, and hard rebuilding. Soft rebuilds are cheapest, and normally just service seals, bushings, etc.. Oh they will replace anything with a lot of wear..but it's mostly just getting leaks stopped. Expect this to last just about a year (about the same time most warranties run out) Now a "Hard Rebuild"? Yup...costs a bit more for parts!. However the shop replaces any and all wearable parts for new/rebuilt. Clutch packs/steel plates/bands/springs/etc.... Expect that to last upwards of 3years ++ (or as long as a 'new' one would)

S-

.of no return

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure its tranny fluid. When I get underneath to check I see the fluid compiling on the tranny drain pan. Also a few months back I replaced the p/s resevoir and both of the gaskets on the hoses to and from the res. Last week I felt around where the hoses connect to the resevoir and where the resevoir connects to the pump after I came back from the store, and all the joints were dry. Thanks for the heads up on that rule of rebuilding I'm going to ask which way he went about rebuilding my transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals