• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speed related Sqweal coming from Transmission

mtnsummit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi I have a '97 Ranger 2wd with a 3ltr and M5OD-R1 Tranny and lately it has been making alot of noise. I have sourced out the sound to the transmission but I don't know what could be causing it. I suspect a bearing is worn out as it sounds like it. The only thing is it only makes the noise when I am going 30-45 mph. Any help would be great.:dntknw:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If the noise isn't tied to a specific gear, I'd suspect the driveshaft or rear end. MAYBE the rear transmission bushing.

mtnsummit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a copy of the ford tech. cd I search through it but couldn't find any mention of a rear tranny bushing. Where would this be located in the tranny? Is this a bearing that supports the drive shaft yoke where it enters the transmission? I have checked and replaced all my u-joints as well as the drive shaft support bearing. I forgot to mention that this is a 4x2 truck. There are no abnormal sounds coming from the diff. I have brought it up to speed on stands and it still squeels between 30-45 mph. Any more help / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Could it be the pilot bearing or the slave cylinder? Is the noise coming from up at the front of the transmission or towards the rear?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The pilot bushing doesn't move unless the clutch is down. Release bearing noises are RPM, not speed, related. Same with transmission input and countershaft bearings (not the mainshaft, though).

mtnsummit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
To add some more information to help me solve this problem I have occasionally smelt burning rubber. Anymore help would be appreciated.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Brakes? Do you have a two piece driveshaft with a center bearing?

mtnsummit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have a two piece drive shaft, I have checked the support bearing it is fine I replaced it about a year ago.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
... couldn't find any mention of a rear tranny bushing. Where would this be located in the tranny? Is this a bearing that supports the drive shaft yoke where it enters the transmission?
Yes.

MAKG, good suggestion to check the carrier bearing for the burning rubber smell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals