• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No heat tried everything

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 83 ranger with a 2.3. I have replaced the thermostat, heater core, changed the fluid, only one hose gets hot to the heater core. I put card board in front of the radiator and the temeture rose but it didn't help with the heater. If anyone has a sugestion it would be much appriciated,:icon_confused:

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
promise you actually CHANGED the heater core? i flushed mine and it would pass water no problem but it still didnt make any heat (same symptoms as yours, only one hose got warm). i dropped a new one in and i'm nice and warm now :)

aside from that... i'm not much help, since i didnt have to do anything beyond that.

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i promise i changed the heater core took about 10 minutes, and still no heat and still have the same symptoms

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm not sure but you might have a air pocket in there hope someone has an idea for you it sure sucks with no heat..

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya your tellin me, everytime i drive somewere i can't feel my hands, no one i talk to or anyone that has tried to figure it out is dumb founded

stockfornow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
only thing i can think of is if your blower motor is kicking on

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 83 ranger with a 2.3. I have replaced the thermostat, heater core, changed the fluid, only one hose gets hot to the heater core. I put card board in front of the radiator and the temeture rose but it didn't help with the heater. If anyone has a sugestion it would be much appriciated,:icon_confused:
air in the cooling system once up to temp remove rad cap carefully with rag turn you heater on full heat full fan for about ten mionutes makeing sure the air bubbles get out
or there is a couple of vaccuum lines that are attached to the heater controls check thos and your vent door good luck:icon_thumby:

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the blower kicks on and moves air i'll have to check the blend door, thanks

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i had someone check the blend door and it checked out, i have a cone that secures to the radiator to air bleed it, the problem is that i can see is that no fluid is getting to the core, i took the lines off and fluid came out of them just fine:icon_confused:

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had someone check the blend door and it checked out, i have a cone that secures to the radiator to air bleed it, the problem is that i can see is that no fluid is getting to the core, i took the lines off and fluid came out of them just fine:icon_confused:
that sounds to me like the thermostat hadnt opened yet
warm the truck real good first thing in the morning and pay attention to the upper hose by the thermostat that has will get smokin hot till the t stat opens then the hose will cool down aways then check the water pump controls the water flow through the heater core and double check rad fluid as well as mixture to much water will evaporate:icon_thumby:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Huh? You can't feel the upper hose by the thermostat unless you can stick your hand right through the intake manifold.

An infrared thermometer pointed right next to the coolant temp sensor should tell you pretty much what the thermostat is seeing. Pointing it to the upper radiator inlet should tell you if it is open (it should be only slightly cooler).

The heater core should be seeing flow ALL THE TIME, regardless of the thermostat. That it isn't suggests either it or something downstream is blocked. Even a new core can get blocked if there is a lot of circulating crap (such as Barr's, even if it is very old).

Last edited:

1983Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'm going go buy a new thermostat, flush the system agian really well, and make sure none of the hoses are blocked

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Huh? You can't feel the upper hose by the thermostat unless you can stick your hand right through the intake manifold.

An infrared thermometer pointed right next to the coolant temp sensor should tell you pretty much what the thermostat is seeing. Pointing it to the upper radiator inlet should tell you if it is open (it should be only slightly cooler).

The heater core should be seeing flow ALL THE TIME, regardless of the thermostat. That it isn't suggests either it or something downstream is blocked. Even a new core can get blocked if there is a lot of circulating crap (such as Barr's, even if it is very old).
oops my bad should have said upper rad hose duh :icon_thumby:

sideways94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm following this also. My 94 Ranger has quit making heat or AC. It's always ambient outside temp only. The fan works, the air can be diverted through any vent selected. Does this sound like the 'blend door' problem? I haven't had a chance to get under there yet but the cooling system on the car is working correctly. It worked fine last Summer and I just noticed it after the truck sat for about 4 months.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals