• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remove rear anti-sway bar for winter?

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Since upgrading to a larger rear anti-sway bar typically means a vehicle will handle worse in the winter (rear will want to slide more easily) i'm assuming that doing the opposite will be ..... better? Or is it too much? Looking for a heads-up form those that may have tried.

My '97 was equipped as a Sport, so the sticker on the door states 235/60-15 tires (205s on it right now) and it has a factory rear sway bar. I would like to get a set of 15x7" aluminum rims to put a set of 205/75-15 snow tires on (all 4, not just the rear). Tempted to leave it off if it doesn't handle too bad ..... and then go to 235 tires and 2" cheapy lift next spring (coil spacers and 4x4 blocks because I gotta replace the coils anyway).

Let me know what y'all think please.

Thanks.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
idk bout the sway bar in the winter problem, but those are some small tires dude lol

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont understand how sway bars would cause your truck to loose traction? sway bars are designed to control body roll, thus keeping all 4 tires on the ground.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a rear sway bar could actually hurt rear wheel traction over bumps or off cambered sections cause it doesnt let the wheels articulate it will try to lift one off the ground(big bummer for open dif dudes like myself)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
with front and rear sway bars connected, a ranger will still achieve this:

if your doing this, you arent just trying to get to work, your off roading and this isnt a "winter driving" question.

normal on-road driving doesnt require more than a few inches of travel.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dang!! thats gnarly! lol dude i think ur truck articulates more than mine and i onlu have a front sway.. my front sway is so so stiff tho! it feels like there is no point to even have independent suspension. everytime i go through a dip at an angle i just about bash my head against the window.. the thing is fat as hell looks like its for a half ton truck

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
dont know what to tell you. thats a stock truck.

my point being that the swaybars are not limited the suspension travel under normal driving conditions.

if anything, having the additional weight shift caused by body roll from removing the sway bars is likely to make for some..ahh...interesting handling characteristics.

in reality, you probably wouldnt notice a difference in traction one way or the other.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i dont understand how sway bars would cause your truck to loose traction? sway bars are designed to control body roll, thus keeping all 4 tires on the ground.
Gotta get to work, but quickly ..... http://www.automedia.com/Sway_Bar_End_Link_Role_Control/ccr20060101sb/1

Very little effect on travel. I'm not sure why you'd even mention it. :icon_confused: More to do with how much traction is distributed where on the ground (in relation to the vehicle). Nice truck btw, looks just like mine. :headbang:

Changing sizes (or presence entirely) will effect traction - I wanna know how much.

Thanks so far guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals