• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some leaf spring assistance! Please!

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I posted this in the suspension forum but only got one response so I figured I'd try it here. I had to put the skyjacker 6" coils in the front of my truck to raise the ride height and correct my camber problems. Now my truck sits low in the back. Not much but it is definitely noticable and I think it looks dumb with the ass end sitting lower than the front. My question is if I order the full 6" leaf springs for the back will it be too high? Or will the 4 inchers do the trick. Has anybody experienced this problem before? If so what did you do to correct it. Just to be clear the lift blocks on the back measure 2 7/8" and are under the stock 2 1/2" blocks for a total of 5 3/8" above my axle. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!:icon_bounceblue:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, you're stacking blocks?

I'd suggest ditching the blocks and finding a shackle/add-a-leaf combo.

But what do I know?
Adam

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply!

Let me give you a little background....

When I bought the truck it had a 4" lift on it. I had tons of problems with the front end so (thinking cheap) I replaced the entire front suspension with the skyjacker class II kit. I never touched the rear. The truck looked fine and rode good. The only thing I can complain about is that I get a lot of axle wrap. So I guess I don't know if the rear end is set up how it should be, hence I'm asking for some help. Any thoughts are appreciated.:dntknw:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Blocks, especially if stacked will cause some axle wrap. Now with your blocks being stacked and the total height coming out to a little over 5 inches is going to cause massive axle wrap. How much lower is the back then the front? Dont forget you can do a combo with the lift springs and blocks and since you have two different sizes of both you have a few options. Some simple math and you can figure out exactly what you need to do.

Last edited:

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
You could throw on a set of Duff traction bars. I hear with a little modification and a big hammer they can be made to fit for the later vehicles. (I'm not sure the years they're designed for)

james99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
james duff has traction bars for your truck but i would one of the blocks and go with add a leaf and longer shackles

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're right, I definitely need to correct the axle wrap problem and stacking blocks probably doesn't help, but at the same time I want to fix the height of the rear end and retain flexibilty. I'm trying to find a solution that will address all three. Also, I talked to a friend of mine that works at a local spring shop about custom making some springs to suit my needs. He said it would be too much too arch a spring that big. I argued that as long as you got a main leaf that was longer then it shouldn't matter? What do you guys think?:dntknw:

MountainRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup get rid of the stacked blocks trust me i know from expirence i bent my rear axle so bad there was a 6 inch diffrence in wheelbase from side to side im suprised my tires didnt hit my box

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
from what i am gathering you have 6 inch springs up front and 4 inches total out back with a little sag from wear would that be correct? if you are looking for a cheap solution explorer leafs with a add-a-leaf and maybe a few stock leafs with a slightly longer shackle if needed should do the trick to eliminate the 2nd block and level it out. lift leafs are expensive and could potentially still not put you at the exact height you are looking for. by using explorer leafs and building a custom spring back you have plenty options to raise or lower easily without the expense of lift leafs.

Nutz-N-Boltz

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86'
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check out a set of 99' 2wheel drive f-150 leaves,(not sure of other years) they measure out the same as the Ranger, but have a much nicer looking arch. And the good thing is, they can be junkyard parts or even your local auto parts place.

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice guys! I guess I'm off to the junkyard to find some new springs. F-150 or explorer I'm not sure which but at least I know what will work.:icon_welder:

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, I forgot to ask where I can get extended shackles? Or is it worth it to try and fab my own to suit my needs?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Also, I forgot to ask where I can get extended shackles? Or is it worth it to try and fab my own to suit my needs?
I just chopped up and extended some stockers on my X. It worked great.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as johnnyu said check ebay for shackles, Belltech 6400's will net ~2" lift.. (they are made for fullsize chevys, to lower them.. but due to the leaf spring mounting on rbvs, it works out that they lift the rears)..

i have them and they are solid pieces, definitely worth the money.

another option is the 63" chevy leaves.. search around and you'll find some info on that swap.. i think its about 3" lift (you just have to move the front bracket forward)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals