• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ZF 5speed to a 302

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i got a 5 speed ZF S542 and t-case from a F350, very good condition for the price.

anyone ever do this swap before? it looks like im going to be cutting some floorboards out..like a couple feet worth in the middle to make it fit

im not that smart on tranny stuff yet so if anyone can give me any info on helpin me get it in that would be great.

its goin in my 88 ranger and i got a 85 302 motor its going to, the truck was a 2.9 v6 with an auto... all i got was the tranny and case.. so i need clutch and flywheel and master cylinder and all the other stuff that i have no idea what to get

summit racing has a 11" clutch kit from Zoom for like 120 bucks dont know if it will work tho

also i heard i need to use a 164 tooth flywheel? and what oz and size do i need?

thanks

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You need a body lift or you will be cutting the firewall and floor, no way around that. I had to hammer a few things in the trans tunnel and some of the engine torque did some custom work took. You need to make the hole in the trans tunnel bigger because the shift tower will be taller than the floor. Install the engine and trans together, it's much easier if you make the core support removable. What engine was in the F-350? If it was anything other than a I-6, 302 or 351 you can't use it; wrong pattern. Don't waste you time looking though the parts mag for stuff for it, you can get it all locally. Go to any parts store get a flywheel and clutch. You can get the master cylinder and stuff there too along with a starter. Do yourself a favor and replace the slave, mine is leaking and they only way to replace it is pull the trans. You need the imbalance for a post 80 302 which will be 50 oz, not the 28oz like an older 302 or 351W. You need to install the engine an trans as one unit. The trans will barely fit. Don't waste your time with the stock t-case, it's too big. Either a NP 205 or 208, they are the best fits. The 205 is strong, crappy low range, and you need to grind a notch on the trans flange to clear the shift rail. The 208 is a little larger, not as strong as a 205 but better low range.

Matt

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its was a 351 in the f350. thanks alot for the info,
how much bigger is the bw1356 then a np205 or 208? cuz i can make anything fit i dont drive this truck on the road, i need as low of gears as possible tho. the 208 has about the same gears as i got now its 2.61:1 and mine is 2.69 so i dont really wanna change it unless i have to

thanks again

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you really really want to you can make a BW 1356 fit but you will have to take a pretty decent chunk out of the frame. The 1356 is stronger than a NP 208 but the 205 is stronger than both of them. Out of the 3 the 205 fits the best and you can twin stick it for free. The problem is the 1.96:1 low range. The ZF has nearly a 7:1 first gear so that will help ya a bit. Personally I run a 205. I get tired of breaking stuff. My V8 has more than enough power, but if you want to get lower gearing for 205 the only way is to do a 203/205 doubler which will take you in the 4.xx:1 range area. With a Ranger you have the room to put something like that, the only crappy part is the weight. I was thinking of doing that but I'm going with Rockwells and a stroked 460 so I will never need that much low range.

Matt

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i looked up the doubler adapter kit, its 700+ for the adapter and about 200+ for the shifters and linkage.

how close was it to the frame? cuz they have 20 degree clock kits for it, do you think it would fit then or still not

also there is hella np205s and 203s out there are they all the same (i know ford/chevy etc different side drops) but year wise is there a better one?

thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You don't want an NP203 and it's NOTHING like an NP205

The NP205 is probably the most compact of the full size T-cases because it's cast iron and doesn't have to accomodate a chain drive, it uses an idler gear between the main output and the front output.

It's a heavy little bitch, but an NP205 weighs less than half what an NP203 does.
(If anyone cares to debate this drop on by and prove me wrong with my NP203
and my NP205 both sitting in my shed)

With the ZF's granny gear you don't really need a creep ratio in the 205 unless your morning commute goes through Moab.

I would use the mounting pad that's available on the "drop" side of the 205 to support it against the frame...

Oh, and BTW, that Windsor pattern ZF? the internal slave is the same as the one used in your ranger, either the '88-92 Aluminum slave or the '93-up Fiberglass slave will bolt right up (though you NEED to use the one compatible with your original clutch line and master cylinder)

AllanD

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont drive it on the street, so the morning commutes are only moab :D
its going to be running 42s aswell with 4.10 axles for now but 5.13 axles later so thats why i was woried about low gearing, along with the trails around my house are all crawling trails that require slow maneuvering..., there is a few mud pits tho...i live in washington its always raining

my ranger was an auto... and the 302 thats going in it was with a c4, so i have no manual trans stuff at all.

i may just use a np205 for now tho, thanks for the info on it guys.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok, well the manual trans is EASY to set-up because it uses the same slave cylinder as the '88-92 or '93-94 slave cylinder, so depending on which slave you want to go with a stock line and master cylinder will work.

AD

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks

so i was lookin at summit racing and heres some things i found...

flywheel
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=RAM-1506&autoview=sku

clutch kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ZZZ-MF64-1B&N=700+0&autoview=sku

slave
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CNS-SC126890&N=700+0&autoview=sku

master
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CNS-CM117053&N=700+0&autoview=sku

im going to try and find comperable things somewhere else i dont wanna spend this much on a few things, its almost more then what i payed for the tranny

but tell me if something wont work please or if theres something better
thanks alot

DieselSmoke

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone know?

any help is awsome, thanks

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The slave looks "right" as the '88-92 type (for Rangers)

The MASTER does not, what is pictured is an F-series master cylinder.
You specifically need a Ranger master cylinder which will work with a ranger
manual trans pedal setup.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals