• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

still no fire on passenger side

masterlink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i replaced the driver side coil.this was recomended by sevensecondsuv.still same problem.no fire on passenger side.tack still reads below 2000 when it screws up.could it be the left side coil ? or should i replace the ign module.at first i thought the used coil was bad so i bought a new one. same codes.18-34-88.same problem.it is a 1991 RANGER 2.3. i used an ODB-2 scanner to get the codes.

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
We are going to need more info on the vehicle, year, model, engine size, etc.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's a 1992 2.3L according to his profile.

Multiple codes often suggest grounding issues, though I would strongly suggest running down pinpoint tests for those codes. Try the library for the Mitchell books.

FYI, it's wrong to state any code without the test it came from. There are three tests that produce codes, and the actions are not the same for each.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
...no fire on passenger side...
Oh, maybe I got dislectic reading your original post, I thought you said driver's side wasn't firing. I'd try replacing the coil on the side that isn't firing. The coils are interchangable so you should just be able to swap them. And I'd definately go for junkyard parts, they are cheap enough to "throw" at a problem. I'd hate to see you go paying for new parts and then not solve anything.

Again, those were the exact same symtoms as mine, (except opposite sides, I see), and a new iginition coil was the fix for mine.

If the new coil doesn't fix it, I'd start looking at wiring.

Last edited:

masterlink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no spark

I replaced both coils.same problem still. im thinking module.it is a two stage module.the second stage is triggered by the EGR.about 2 seconds after start up.one of my codes is a code 33-EGR valve opening not detected.i cleaned the connection yesterday and put dialectric grease on it.so far so good.but i have only started it up from dead cold 2 times since.yesterday and this morning.my other code is an 88.loss of duel spark input.and 33.eratic idm signal to prossesor.already checked all the wireing.at least i have two spare coils now.and that driver side coil was a M/F to change.

Doug.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
...that driver side coil was a M/F to change...
I hear ya there!

Well your problem seems to be a little deeper than mine was. I had the "no egr valve opening detected" code as well. I replaced the whole valve with a junkyard part and it solved that too.

If you end up changing the module just make sure you put plently of the gray lube stuff between it and the intake manifold and tighten those mounting bolts to spec. I tried replacing my icm before I tried the coil and was surprised to find that it would only crank, but not start. After more attention to making sure things were mounted well (and therefore grounded well), it fired right up.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The EDIS module may be your ultimate problem. Find someone who has another 2.3 or a 4.0 and swap it between the trucks. It is located in front of the battery on the doghouse....if it isn't there move the battery and look in that area. Swap them first to m,ake sure that is your rpoblem as they are a little pricey.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just a heads up:
The EDIS module (actually DIS on 1991 MY, and called ICM, for ignition control module) is mounted on the intake manifold on 2.3s. See a few posts above, he's already looking at it.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Though I don't remember where this one started, if the passenger's side coil doesn't fire, how are/were you starting the truck, or are you? The driver's side doesn't fire on crank.

masterlink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no fire

the driver side fires just fine.the truck starts right up.its when its almost warmed up that the tack drops.and the passenger side stops fireing.the truck still runs fine rubber in second no problem.it just doesent idle vary smooth. the tack stays below 2000.and the passenger side doesent fire.once completly warm.the tack jumps back up.idle is fine and it fires on both sides.it is a 1991 2.3 ranger

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
So basically, the truck works OK when it's cold but starts to act up once it warms up?

Then change the ignition module.

masterlink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No. it acts up when its warming up.once its warmed up good it runs fine.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
That would be a non-typical module fault but not outside the bounds of the issues that a bad module can exhibit.

You could do a crude test of that one by heating up the module, say with a hairdryer, prior to a cold start.

masterlink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
never thought about that.i believe i might just try that in the morning.whats really strange.is if i unplug the vacum line to the EGR and plug it off.it really doesent do it hardly at all.:no2:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, in that case, is the EGR control solenoid leaking? Perhaps it's enough to open the EGR and throw off the fuel mixture until the O2 sensor heats up and starts giving a good signal. Where after the computer adjusts but, the problem with that is the computer should learn that trick in short order and compensate it's cold start fuel enrichment maps to suit the new situation.

But, then again, that wouldn't explain a non-firing coil pack. Only a bad module will do that. One word of clarification,and I'm repeating myself, the driver's side does not fire on crank. IF your saying that the passenger's side is not firing after the engine starts then your still looking at the ignition module.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals