• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pinion spacer torque

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, i got a ford 9 inch outta a 78 ford f150, its a regular third member, open diff. i and trying to set up the pinion, i am using a crush sleeve eliminator kit. i've been reading up on this kind of stuff, but the info i have found is mostly for 8.8 and is very confusing. my question is with the eliminator kit what is the torque spec for the pinion nut, and do i still need to to the rotational torque measurement. also if i do have to do the rotational torque measurment is it just the pinion in the third member, or does the third member need to be assembled with the diff in it?

thanks
Jon

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Bearing preload has to do with just the pinion support bearings. You can set that up without having it in the third.

As for the torque spec. It needs to be tight. I usually just rattle it with my impact. Never had a problem.

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok well i torqued the pinion nut to like 150 or so, my torque qrench only goes up to 150 ftlbs, and i could not move the pinion, so i backed the nut off till i could spin it, can i leaveit like that or will something horrendus happen?

also the way that the torque is done on the pinion is confusing. as i understand it the pinion nut should be torqued down to like 150 to 200 ftlbs, and the rotational torque should be adjusted by turning the pinion nut till there is bout 10 inlbs of rotational torque. How is it possible to do both of these measurments?

thanks

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
You don't have enough shims in your crush sleeve eliminator. You need to add until you can torque the nut down and have the preload needed on the pinion bearings. Sounds like you are a bit too deep with your bearings.

The pinion preload is the amount of resistance it takes to spin the pinion. IE, as it rolls on the bearings. The pinion nut doesn't have anything to do with that unless you are running the crush sleeve. It needs to be tight.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
get somebody who has the slightest bit of experience to help.it sounds like you know just enough to be dangerous

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Here's a video for setting the pinion bearing preload on a 8.8 except using a crush sleeve. A crush sleeve eliminator you must shim it to the correct thickness to get proper pinion bearing preload. Too little shim= what you had happen (you probably could have damaged your breaings). Too much shim= too little preload.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APYO2sZyJU

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals