• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about rebuilding my transmission.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How should I go about doing this and what's the average amount of hours it should take?

By "how should I go about doing this" I mean should I buy the pieces for the rebuild all separately, or should I find a kit?

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
manual, automatic?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Auto. Good point, I should have included that from the begining.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, the answer is quite different for the two.

Replacing bands and clutches are routine for automatic transmissions.

However, you should know what is wrong with it before removing it from the vehicle, as the problem might not be bands or clutches....

And you won't know ALL the answers until you get it apart. E.g., is the oil pump scored? You need another if it is. Do all the valves move easily? Are any of the gears damaged?

Disassembling an automatic transmission is not very difficult, but it can be time consuming. Of course the vehicle will be disabled while you do so, so you will need an alternative mode of transportation.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I've had people say it could just be the Vacuum Modulator, but others say that it isn't what's wrong with my transmission. I would have to take it off and have my niebor look at it before I would know what's wrong with it.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, don't be so quick to pull the transmission.

The vacuum modulator can be pulled off with it installed.

And it's probably good if it holds vacuum.

The usual symptom of a blown modulator is that the transmission shifts very late, as though you had the throttle floored. If it's shifting hard or slipping, it's not the modulator.

Diagnose the transmission IN THE VEHICLE. You should know what's wrong with it before doing anything to it.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Umm, don't be so quick to pull the transmission.
The vacuum modulator can be pulled off with it installed.
And it's probably good if it holds vacuum.
The usual symptom of a blown modulator is that the transmission shifts very late, as though you had the throttle floored. If it's shifting hard or slipping, it's not the modulator.
Diagnose the transmission IN THE VEHICLE. You should know what's wrong with it before doing anything to it.
See, that's what I thought about the modulator. People were saying it would cause hard/late shifts so I decided it probably wasn't it. I'm still going to change it, even if it isn't it, it's only a 10 dollar part.

:icon_thumby:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Meh, I'll run it until it goes I guess. No clue what's wrong with it. I can get a transmission at the local yard now guaranteed. Used to be you couldn't get them with a guarantee, or even know if they work. Now they tag all of the vehicles.

I think the price is around 75 for the transmissions there, with a 25 dollar charge for the material/tax/fees. Hell, for 20 bucks they will even drop the tranny and take it to your truck for you.

noyb72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If your having hard / late shifts then crawl under the truck and make sure the vacuum hose is connected to the modulator. Mine used to fall off every couple of weeks before I replaced the hose.

Ron

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals