• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold tranny

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
So its finally getting into the 30's down here in Georgia. I recently noticed that when it's below 40 degrees my tranny wont shift. I woke up yesterday moring for class, started the truck, let it warm up for about 5 mins. and shifted into reverse. I backed out of the driveway and it wouldnt go into 1st. I tried 2nd, nope 2nd wasn't working. I tried all five gears until I finally got it back into 1st. While im driving down the road it doesnt seem to want to go into any gears, without a little force.

My question is does this normally happen in cold weather, or is something wrong with the tranny?

Blacksmith1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
oil getting too thick? shifter shrinkage?:icon_rofl: sorry. this is a manual trans I assume. I've never had a problem like that that was temp related. usualy it was the internal parts or the clutch causing my "won't shift into" problems.
is the shifter going into position? are you sure the clutch cylinder is moving as it is supposed to?

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Yea the shifter is going in to position. Not sure about the clutch cylinder. I didnt have this problem during the summer. It started recently after it got cold. It just doesnt want to go into any gear. I eventually get it to go into gear, but when I first start up the truck it doesnt want to do anything.

I need to find out whats wrong, this is my daily driver. Would you think some new tranny fluid would help?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would check what fluid it has in it. You probably have the M5OD, which takes ATF...both M5OD's I've gotten from junkyards have had gear oil in them, from the previous owners..

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, When they get real cold (though 30 isn't cold) These transmissions won't shift right unless you have MERCON ATF in them. Merc V will also cause issues when it gets cold, unless the trans is an 07 or 08 or whichever year went to Merc V. (This applies to the M5od only, and is simply based on my experiences).

I would also check your slave, because when mine was going it made it difficult to get into gear when it was cold out, but when it was warmer, it went in no problem.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I would also check your slave, because when mine was going it made it difficult to get into gear when it was cold out, but when it was warmer, it went in no problem.
Thats what mine does. It was working fine in the summer, then when it got cold it just didnt want to work. Ill check the slave cylinder out.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals