• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting to E85?

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a friend who awhile back built up an old 400m for his 85' f250. And while he was building he had mentioned making it run on E85, i don't remember what he had told me all went into it, but i understand, or would assume you need special injectors and stuff. Do any of you know any more specifics about what goes into making a 302 or 351 run on E85...or even a RBV v6 ( i know it's v8 forum) but just lookin to see if you guys know anything, or if any of you have even experminted or know some stuff first hand.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your best bet for a v-6 would be to locate a FFV 3.0 ranger.

for a v-8, youd need fuel lines that can handle ethanol, and higher flow injectors (might be able to get away with a adjustable pressure fuel regulator). the computer mapping is the tough pit, and im not sure how you'd adapt a non-ffv computer to work. ffv computers have an additional sensor input that tells the computer to adjust the timing curve, injector pulse, and more based on the fuels ethanol content.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would need to move alot more fuel thru a carberator if you go that route, which is about the only route to go on a 400, a carbed 302/351 would be the same deal. Increased compression would help too.

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well i think if i did it with a v8, i'd probably go the carbed route. So your saying it can be done, but you have to up the anti on the fuel and the compression huh? Yeah Wicked, i knew that if i stayed with a v6, a 3.0, i could search for a wrecked up ranger that has the e85 version motor in it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the problem with a carb is that running e85 requires more fuel and more timing then running pure gasoline. so if you tune your carb and set your timing on gas, you will run lean and retarded (read: gutless) on e85.

you could maybe get around the timing issue with an msd ignition with remote, but im not sure how youd actively control the mixture short of running it choked.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Once you go to E85 on a carb you will be pretty much stuck with it. But if you have it locally available it wouldn't be too bad for a dd. Certain parts of the country don't have it available so for a long distance hauler you may not want to do it.

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We'll see thats the thing, our gas station right here in our small of town of 2000 people, just got new pumps with E85. And after i get my BII completed and going, i plan on taking my ranger off the road this winter to work on it...theres nothing wrong with the motor (plenty wrong in the body, along the lines of rust) But since we have it at our pumps now, and it's like 2.20 right now, not sure haven't looked in a few days, but it got me thinking you know.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there are several reasons why this idea will never pay for itself:

e85 contains less potential energy then regular gasoline. so you need more fuel to do the same amount of work (read: lower mileage). the difference on a modern, efficient, fuel injected engine is big enough...on an older carbed engine, the difference would be huge.

the cost of setting a non e85 fuel injected motor up for e85 would offset many many miles of e85 use.

if your goal is economy here, then a ffv 3.0 would be the ONLY way to possibly save money in the long run. it will still get decent mileage, and wont cost extra to "convert" it to run on e85. plus its a true ffv engine, which means if you want to take a road trip in it, you can.

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Which is probably, if i decide to, what i will wind of doing. Cruising the junk yards lookin for a wrecked ranger with ffv 3.0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals