• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Swap parts list

cdnturboz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merkur
Transmission
Automatic
Over the winter I'm starting to get all the parts together for a turbo swap in a 93 Ranger with the v6.

So far my list consists of:

-large VAM
-87-88 TC ECU
-87 Merkur XR4TI Engine
-prob a t5 trans or 4 speed auto from a TC
-4 cylinder ranger engine mounts
-255 pump
-intercooler
-t3/t4 turbo

am I missing anything?

thanks
I'm just trying to get a good list going for the project.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
A wiring pinout of the v6 and one for the 2.3 makes the job alot easier. I'm about done with my 2.3t swap into my 92(3.0). Make sure you can still use your drive shaft with the T5 trany.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it should work fine, i dont think there are any differences between the 2wd 4 cyl and v6 driveshafts, and the 4 cyl works perfect.

93240sx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford,ford,nissa
Engine Size
2.3 ,4.0 ,2.5
Transmission
Manual
i was driving down a side street where i live and was very surprised to see a merkur xr4ti looks like its been sitting i was wondering can i swap everything into my 89 ranger or what harness would i need to get? just wondering before i go see if its for sale thanks

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Over the winter I'm starting to get all the parts together for a turbo swap in a 93 Ranger with the v6.

So far my list consists of:

-large VAM
-87-88 TC ECU
-87 Merkur XR4TI Engine
-prob a t5 trans or 4 speed auto from a TC
-4 cylinder ranger engine mounts
-255 pump
-intercooler
-t3/t4 turbo

am I missing anything?

thanks
I'm just trying to get a good list going for the project.
Fuel lines.... I'm using the engine out of a 86t-bird but i bought a fuel rail form a 87 or 88 because it takes the spring type fittings. (The Merkur should have this type on it) The v6 fuel lines would not work so I bought fuel lines from a 2.3 ranger but i think only one would work and i ended up using one of my stock 3.0 lines.

Battery.....I'm not real sure how you plan on doing your air filter but mine sets right where the battery should be. So I'm in the process of moving it to the frame. Might need to get you a battery box.

Power steering pump.......I had to buy a power steering pump out of a 2.3 ranger because the one out of the t-bird would not clear the rangers gear box. I'm not sure if the Merkur is running v belts or serp but if it's v belt and you have to change power steering pump then you will need to swap all the pulleys over and the alternator to serp.

That's just a couple of thing that i ran into. If i think of anything else i will let you know.

ri06667

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey cdnturboz, where in Canada are you?
Im in the middle of a swap myself, got the merkur already, pulled the engine from my 2.9.. I'm in Edmonton myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals