• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radiator drain plug broke

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I turned my radiator drain plug head with my hand and the head broke off, it's ok for now but how would i go about removing the threaded shank? Where would be the best place to pick up a new plug?

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most any auto parts will have a replacement. The plug simply screws in and out. If it is the plactic type, you should be able to work it out with a screwdriver and pliers.:)shady

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Help!/Dorman/Motormite sells replacement draincocks.

If all else fails, there is the dreaded channel lock pliers.

GT_Hatchback

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I havent done many posts on here but i have firsthand experience on this one....go to an autozone or advanced or whatever you have in your town and get a new draincock, dont use pliers or a screwdriver (trust me it only made it worse...you might have luck but I wouldnt try it as my first method) OK once you get the new draincock use an easy out drill bit and jam it into the old one thats still in there and take a 1/4" wrench( I think...well whatever size will fit your easy out end) and go counter clockwise and it should bite and turn right out...if not play with the easy out until you can get it to bite into the plastic...thats how I got mine out and it took about 5 minutes to get it out...I hope I have been some sort of help...good luck

GT_Hatchback

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they should have the draincock in stock...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals