• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My other Bronco

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well its been awhile since I had a bronco I figured eh why not. I sold one of my full sized ford pick ups and ran across this lil gem of mine. The last Bronco was a '84 I believe and so loved it. I absolutely love the turning radius that these like fords have...
This one that I have now seems to have a bit of a strange problem tho. It seems to run rough all the time I take it off road on the logging roads and in construction sites. I put a new air filter on it and also a new fuel filter. Both were so clogged and dirty it was gross. The guy I had bought it from told me that it had a tune up..?? now what kind a person does a tune up and not replace the filters?? After replacing the filters it ran nice on the street but still ran rough off road..?? I even put some wynns engine restore, injector cleaner and on top of that some gas line antifreeze thinking that it may have water in the tank. Filled it up as in the directions and ran it like that. But its still running rough off road. Runs nice on the street though. Hell I even took the O2 sensor off thinking that may fix the rough idle. Never did though.
Any ideas? Its a '87 model with the 2.9 5 spd tranny 4X4 of course. My next idea is going to be to change the plugs. Maybe its got crappy champions in it. Never did have much luck with champions. Any ways some ideas would be a great help.
Now onto something all together totally different Q for all of you. What is a TTB front suspension? Ive heard of IFS thats what my full size has. Ive even heard of a straight axle. But what the heck is a TTB???

Anyways thats enough typing for a bit
Thanx A.W.

:icon_confused::dunno::icon_confused:

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
TTB= Twin Traction Beam. I would be checking connections, Sound like the rough conditions or off road vibrations could be playing a part of your problem.

Another problem i have seen mas air flow sensor, pull it off and give it a shake if you get a ratteling sound ( change it ) drivers side of air intake mounts in a bracket black with a wire plug connection and a small rubber hose comes out of the bottom of it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I know what your problem is.......... the 2.9L. swap it out for a 4.0L, will save a bunch of headaches down the road.

ford did you a favor when they built that truck......... they circled the problem (lemme know when you figure that out)

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The mas huh? interesting Ill defiantly take a look at that.. So a TTb is pretty much the same as a IFS? Edmonton huh Kool. A fellow Canadian now thats cool.
Lol yeah they circled the problem did they.. So whats Chevy and Dodge's Prob?? Just razing ya. As for the 4 litre well just as soon as I find an Exploder that has a standard. My idea is to take everything outa the Exploder and put it into the Bronco. I dont think itd work if It was a auto tho would;d it?? My thought is that Id probably run into problems if I took everything from an auto. Correct me if Im wrong please My Broncos a standard as well.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The mas huh? interesting Ill defiantly take a look at that.. So a TTb is pretty much the same as a IFS? Edmonton huh Kool. A fellow Canadian now thats cool.
Lol yeah they circled the problem did they.. So whats Chevy and Dodge's Prob?? Just razing ya. As for the 4 litre well just as soon as I find an Exploder that has a standard. My idea is to take everything outa the Exploder and put it into the Bronco. I dont think itd work if It was a auto tho would;d it?? My thought is that Id probably run into problems if I took everything from an auto. Correct me if Im wrong please My Broncos a standard as well.
a d35 out of an explorer will bolt right in up to a 94 i think, i might have the year wrong.

I am from the west coast, but have been in alberta for 8 years, man i miss the smell of the ocean and the mountains, I take off to the rockies when ever i get a chance. but it not the same as home.

Lot's of guys here will give you jabs about a 2,9 and a d28, but i have never had a real issue with either, I bought my 87 bronco brand new in the fall of 86 and it has been a great little truck,and has always got me home.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Lol yeah they circled the problem did they.. So whats Chevy and Dodge's Prob??

chevy put a bow tie on their problem and dodge puts a cute little ram on their problem, Atleast Ford circled it for ya.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's no Mass Airflow Sensor on a 2.9.

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it is nice out here there dirt but at least you guys get snow. All we get uis rain rain rain and by the time you think its gona be sunny it rains again BC people dont tan they rust lol. You sure do have a nice Bronco there. Where d ya get the cool lil hood scoops I like them. What about if I have a standard tranny and Exploder is a auto? My idea is to take the wiring harness and computer outa the Exploder and put it all in the Bronco. Including the dash and seats and just about every last thing in the Exploder into that Bronco of mine.

Now thats funny there BDAB.

Perhaps you can shed some light on it there Will.

She even trys ta act like its going to die when you turn corners sharp and quickly??
Any ideas there guys??

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Idk what test you chevy guys take. But ford circles the answer!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
who said i was a chevy guy. Mine say GMC on the grille, I don't drive no busted ass chevy. That being said, I have no brand Loyalty. And after the numerous Fords I have had, I still think ford circles the problem

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can count the amount of Gm vehicles Ive had in my life on one hand. 2 Trucks and a car. Ford vehicles a whole shoot load of them and Dodge maybe like 4 I think. So sayin Im a chevy guy... now thats funny :icon_rofl: I run whatever appeals to me at that point of time. My Bronco I love it and am looking forward to making it a better off road vehicle :icon_thumby:

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was reading other ppls posts last night and apparently theres a second fuel filter in line this one with the return hooked up to it. I might try to replace that as well. Im going to our famous pick a part today apparently they have 4 Broncos out there.
I use to have at one time a Ford Tempo And the problem it had was the throttle positioner and some other parts weren't working quite right I forget the name of those parts but I do remember where they were located. So we'll try that.

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All I want to do is get it through the winter since I dont have a garage and it gets dark alot sooner now I feel that I haven t got any time to work on it till next spring summer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals