• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

noise from clutch - Ford TSB 08-22-8

dlscott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I posted earlier about a problem I was having with a squeaking clutch, no useful answers here, but I went to my local Ford dealer today to see what could be done, and sure enough, this is a known problem with 2004-2008 Rangers. FoMoCo has issued a technical service bulletin.

Thanks to the person who took time to reply suggesting it was my "technique"...

ronin1865

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem with my ranger.

Could you tell me what Ford told you? I tried pulling up the info on Ford's site but didn't have much success. Thank you.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I posted earlier about a problem I was having with a squeaking clutch, no useful answers here, but I went to my local Ford dealer today to see what could be done, and sure enough, this is a known problem with 2004-2008 Rangers. FoMoCo has issued a technical service bulletin.

Thanks to the person who took time to reply suggesting it was my "technique"...
Gotta love the ones who complain about free help.

:thefinger:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're welcome.

I did mention the NHTSA website, which does no good for your 2008. I just searched NHTSA for 04 thru 08 and that TSB isn't listed, so it's just an internal Ford TSB, not one issued by the NHTSA.

In any event, you are getting good service from your Ford retailer, which is exactly where you should have gone for warranty service.

Thank you for bringing this new problem to our attention.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
FORD / RANGER 1998-2002

Service Bulletin Number : 0255
NHTSA Item Number : 636047
Summary Description :
HOOTING, EEKING OR MOANING NOISE COMING FROM THE CLUTCH WHEN SHIFTING GEARS. *TT

You may be interested to know that just last weekend my wife asked me "what was THAT?" as I pulled out in 2nd gear (slipping the clutch just a tad more than my norm to make her ride more comfortable). Just the clutch Honey, nothing to worry about. Been doing that since I got it, new in 2000". Does it every time it gets cold. It quits when it warms up, never to be heard again until the next "cold start".

Whenever I wear out this OE clutch, I'm sure I'll put a new slave and clutch in there and get rid of that occasional hoot. Yours must be pretty obnoxious sounding to have the dealer pull the tranny!

Welcome to The Ranger Station.

dlscott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a copy of the Bulletin from the service department of the local Ford dealer. It is entitled "Noise from clutch slave cylinder when clutch-engaged/disengaged/ TSB 08-22-8"
It describes the parts and service procedures required to correct a problem caused in the interface between the clutch slave cylinder and clutch fingers, and supercedes TSB 07-24-1.

It appears, if I'm reading this correctly, they will replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and slave cylinder.

Dealer replaced the slave cylinder at 7000 kms, and now 13000 kms and problem has reappeared, so it's going back in as soon as parts are recievd.

To Earl 43P, I did search NTHSA website as suggested earlier, but found nothing as you know, hence the "no useful answers" comment. Reading that again I can see that maybe it sounded a bit sarcastic, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. This is my first Ford and I had been expecting that somebody else would have had this problem. My daughter bought an identical Ranger on my recommendation and hers started doing the same thing before 10000 kms.

Aramis

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Did this problem come back after having TSB 8-22-08 done?

Mine barely has 5000km and it's doing it (the noise kinda appeared when the cold weather arrived)

Also, can someone post what that TSB says entirely? I tried finding out and it's not easy to find "out there"

Aramis

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update tsb-09-25-6

I can't contribute often to this site, but here's an occasion!

I'm following this closely as my ranger started doing the pedal noise!

After talking with Ford and my dealer, we found out Ford has updated the previous TSB to include more model years (to include 2009s I guess)

I'd like to post it, but don't have a place to host a PDF file, so if someone can host it, pm me your email and I'll send it to you!

RED FORD TRUCK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just sent you an PM.

I can't contribute often to this site, but here's an occasion!

I'm following this closely as my ranger started doing the pedal noise!

After talking with Ford and my dealer, we found out Ford has updated the previous TSB to include more model years (to include 2009s I guess)

I'd like to post it, but don't have a place to host a PDF file, so if someone can host it, pm me your email and I'll send it to you!
Same TSB was just completed on my wifes 2007 Ranger 4x4.

Dealership service advisor was not too forth coming with details of repair basically told us trans taken out and slave cylinder replaced.

But both my wife and I noticed the truck clutch and trans work much nicer now and the truck seems a lot quieter as well.

Aramis

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, mine's done now, I have to say, the clutch pedal does seem easier to push on.

We'll see how it holds up!

gordo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I-4
Transmission
Manual
Hoots no more!

I have a 2008 5 spd XLT. Dealer replaced the complete clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder twice in 14K miles... because of the "hooting/moaning" sound when depressing the clutch pedal. I had them "loan" me the last slave and master cylinder set. What I found is that the newer Ranger cab bodies have a deep floor-cavity in the floorboard compared to my old '93 ranger which was pretty flat. (Both trucks used the Mazda clutch/transmission package.) Simply put, now there is too much master pedal/cylinder travel and if the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor, with the deeper floor pocket, it is trying to over extend an already fully extended slave cylinder. The "hooting" sound is the oil actually relieving the excess pressure back through the master cylinder piston seals!

I put a spacer block on the floor, that limits the pedal travel to what it is in my old '93 (which I had given to my son). The clutch completely disengages just fine. As a test, I left the block out - and the pedal would start making that "hooting" sound pretty regularly once the truck is warm. Put the block back in - complete silence!

The Ford dealer said that they were told that the problem was caused by the type of grease that was used to lubricate the slave/throwout bearing assembly. I say they just changed the geometry of the pedal travel with the newer design floorboard!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals