• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best lift options

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I have just bought my first explorer and Was wandering what was the best lift for these trucks, I have had many 4 wheel drives in the past and have done quite afew lifts, so anywho on to the truck, its a 91 2 door eddie bauer, and I want 36's under it, I dont really like body lifts, but if I have to put a 2" in than I can deal witha that, I would like to get at the very least 6inch susp lift, thanx for all the help in advance.

Last edited:

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would say you came to the rite site to ask these questions. First off, If you ask many people, you are gonna get a vast number of different answers to this question. So, with that being said, let me say that myself, I have a 4dr Explorer with a 6" lift on it and I fit 33" tires with little to no headaches. If you were to add a 2" body lift, I believe you could fit 36" tires. That's not to say that you might or might not have to trim the fenders... every vehicle is different. I would stay away from an 8" lift... just for the simple fact of steering geometry. If you weren't too particular about looks, I'm sure you could fit 36" if you did some fender trimming.
I do gotta wonder why you are choosing 36" tires though as it's gonna put some strain on the front axle assembly. Most guys won't go over 35" tires... but there are people here who are running larger than a 36" tire without any issues. Either way, I'm sure you're gonna do what you wanna do.
Below, is a picture of my 94 with a 6" life to give you an idea of what you will end up with.

Also... seeing as this is your first post... welcome to the site.

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx, and that rig looks sick, The lift and 33s work.
As for the 36s Im going with the interco q-78 which come out to about a 35.5-36ish
So who do you recomend for a lift, superlift, skyjacker, BDS, James duff??

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would say if you do a survey, nine outta ten people will tell you to go Skyjacker. Duff seems to be the other choice for the front. For your rear, if you go with a Ruff Stuff rear 8.8 axle install kit (swap to spring over axle), it will give you a six inch lift in the rear.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/simple-spline-p-278.html

I used that kit in the rear of mine and it's a great kit. The spring perches are 8 inches long.. if I remember correctly.
The Skyjacker springs work well too. I found that they seemed softer than the factory ride after installed. On a side note, if you do used the skyjacker kit, the six inch springs will only net you about five inches of lift. For a true six inch, you will need to use a one inch spacer to make up the difference.
As for shocks, I used the "el-cheapo" skyjacker ones and find it quite compliant in ride quality and firm enough for the rigors of off road.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure if anyone makes one specific for the explorer any more. I know superlift and skyjacker did have kits but I believe they are discontinued. A ranger kit should work but like F150 said you'll have to figure out something for the rear. I've seen the kit that he got and it's a very nice kit, and install was a snap, but it does require a welder to weld the new perches on.

The spring pin holes needed to be opened up to accept the Explorer leaf pins.
Rear brake line drop will have to be relocated, as it's going to be too short in the factory location.

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for the info, doing a spring over in the rear wont be to hard, I did a spring over in one of my jeeps, and only doing the rear means I dont have to worry about steering this time.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, nobody does make a six inch "specific" lift for an Explorer. You will have to buy for a Ranger and work with that. That being said, if you buy a complete lift for a Ranger (six inch) and get replacement leaf springs in the kit, they will bolt up and give you the same six inch lift. Only thing you will need to do is flip the center bolt in the leaf spring so that it will be installed from the top down.
Other issue you will have will be rear shocks. Myself, I welded the shock mounts included in my SOA kit to the sway bar mounts on the differential and VOILA! Come to think about it, I'm sure the shocks will work using the factory mounts... except for the top as they use a bar pin. But that's not a big hurdle to jump.
As for the rear flex hose, we changed it's location to the spare tire carrier and lengthened the hard line about 14". The fronts... well, myself I used the Skyjacker braided lines. They seemed to work with little problems.

Feel free to ask for pictures etc if you want any more information.:3gears:

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that is awsome thanx again, you wouldnt happen to know where and how many fuel filters are on this thing would you, its a 91 thanx. I have to go and get a manual tomorrow.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe there is only one. Located on the drivers side @ the radius arm mount. It's a bugger to change!

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes Yes it was , and nobody told me about doing the spark plugs , 4 not a problem, the last 2 well I would rather shoot myself in the crotch with my paint ball gun than try them again anytime soon, hopfully they are like kids, you for get how they really are until you have more.Or my xploder will never get plugs again.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You think those ones are bad??? Try doing plugs on a late 90's Blazer! AIE KARUMBA!!!

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious as to how F150hybred's rear spring over handles on the highway.
I'm going this route with my '91 Sport soon and would appreciate any pointers.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The skyjacker lift is nice. The nitro 8000 an hydro 9000 shock are very good.
The superlift isn't as high quality and their spring aren't nearly as good.
Don't go with the Duff crap. There quality is lacking and their customer support is piss poor at best.
An old Rancho lift is good, but they don't go to 6".

As for your initial premise. If you go with a 6" lift and a 2" body lift you still need to trim your front fenders a bit to fit 36" tires. I've got both lifts and 33" tires and still rub a little. For the most part the fender has gotten out of the way of my tires. Removal by use, that's my motto.

Switch

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not to totally change the subject but what do I look for to get a manual T-case ie what years and out of what trucks will work thanx.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious as to how F150hybred's rear spring over handles on the highway.
I'm going this route with my '91 Sport soon and would appreciate any pointers.
It's quite manageable. It's not a top heavy as I originally thought it would be. As was said some place else... not too sure where... running spring under axle does lower your center of gravity A BIT. For a budget lift and to maintain your original ride quality, a spring over axle is the way to go. Your other area to watch for is shock placement. Keeping your shocks mounted as close to the leaf spring as possible does help with unwanted body roll on the hi-way. If I get a chance today, I'll snap a pic or two of the rear and get them posted.

Switch, as for the transfer case, any 1354 manual will fit. Seeing as yours is an Explorer, it already has a 1354. Either manual or electric. If your gonna swap from electric to manual, you need to get everything. Shifter... floor adapter pan... shifter boot... and I believe the tail shaft housing too.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals