• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stupid CV driveshaft....

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SO...

I have a clicking CV joint on my 89 BII XLT. Manual Transmission, Auto transfer case. Against my better judgment, I drove 375 miles (round trip) yesterday. It did not fail, and it doesnt SOUND worse, but I'd like to get it taken care of before the winter.

I really don't want to cut or modify anything to fit the truck, as time is of the essence here in WI ( snow is starting to fly ) si I would like to know if there is somethign I can use off of another BII in a junkyard. You know, balance, u-joints, and throw it on the truck.

Was the CV style driveshaft ONLY on the 89? Was this changed for the 1990 Model year? I have heared that the driveshafts from older BII's are shorter, is this true? I would PREFER a U-Joint Style driveshaft, and a direct replacement. I can get one through work, but don't feel like paying 250 bucks.

NXD 5150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005-1987
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 - 5.0
Transmission
Manual
My 90 B2 did the same thing when I got. Yes my 90 has the same CV driveshaft. I heard alot of different things about the lengths of the driveshafts on old B2s. What I did was take a ranger drive shaft and had it shortened, it was like a 2 day turn around.

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So Apparently the driveshafts from 89+ are a different length than the U-Joint shafts from prior model years? I've seen some conflicting information on that. I was HOPING for a direct swap, and I know I could have a ranger DS shortened, but I was hoping to avoid that.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you get a u-joint drive shaft from a BII that had an A4LD, then it will be the same length as your CV shaft.

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OH really..... no year designation?

And how would I tell if it had an A4Ld? Is there a trans code on the door sticker? and if so, what is the code for the A4Ld?

Thanks!

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
naturaly. The A4LD was used in all year ranges of B2 as the auto trans then>?

thunderbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The driveshaft out of an 88 b2 with a manual 5-speed is the same length as the one from an 86 with an a4ld. I just finished doing that particular swap and have first-hand experience. I used a measuring tape and everything! Hope this helps.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
But the '86 has the same CV rear driveshaft. So does an '85 model. And nothing on an '84 has the correct length.

If you want a U-joint driveshaft, your options are to have one made or modified, or to buy one aftermarket. They do exist.

But if you go that route, you may have to adjust your pinion angle, especially if the replacement has a double-cardan end. It matters for very-short-wheelbase vehicles.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
A4LD was the automatic
Except for the C5 used in 1984s.

But the '86 has the same CV rear driveshaft. So does an '85 model.
No, they don't. 85 5 speeds, and all the 85 auto's I've seen had u-joint shafts.

Not the correct length, unless you can find one from an auto.

cdubb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem with my 89 b2 cv shaft. my question is i have a chance to pick up a 91 ex 2 door 4x4 and i was wondering if i swap over the ex's dana 35 and 8.8 rear as well as the 4.0 motor, 5 spd, and bw1354 t-case, will the driveshafts from the ex bolt in too or will they need to be shortened? thanks

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
The front would bolt in. The rear would have to be shortened.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had 2 ranger driveshafts shorten to 31 1/4" flange to flange for both of my Bronco 2's.First one cost me $130.00. Traded some parts to have the other one made.
You'd better replaced your driveshaft as soon as you can, other wise you'll have to pay for towing when it breaks.
When mine broked I was about 1/2 mile from home (drop off kids at school and all of a sudden "kaboom" driveshaft let go at the school).
Day before I made a 150 mile round trip for a job. I was lucky that it broke near my house.
I had a second driveshaft made for my other 90 Bronco 2 so that this won't happen to me again.
Someone sells a shorten driveshaft for Bronco 2's on Ebay.

Last edited:

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
OH really..... no year designation?

And how would I tell if it had an A4Ld? Is there a trans code on the door sticker? and if so, what is the code for the A4Ld?

Thanks!
trans code is T

cdubb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
another question is i have the bw1350 manual t-case, and the donor im looking at getting has a 1354 auto t-case, could i use my manual 1350 with the m5od tranny, and what are the differences between the two t-cases? thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals