• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 2.8 swap in 88 2WD Ranger

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
So I got what I thought would was the great deal on an 88 2WD Ranger. Got for $350 so I'm not whinning too much and the truck is rust free. Okay, so bad freeze plug turned into blown head gasket, turned into cracked head, turned into toasted cam bearings project has been fun to say the least.

When reading this post please keep in mind that a 5.0/C-4 combo will be going in truck, however, I need the truck sooner than later for this winter.

So here is what I've found so far along with the trashed 2.9 in the truck. I found and bought another 2.9 that has been nothing short of surprise after surprise.

Found another guy locally that has a 2.8 from a 75ish capri/mustang that has been completely rebuild and comes with a C-3 trans. for what seems to be a very reasonable price and comes with the Duraspark distributor and module and a few other things. Mine has a 5spd which I will keep.

My question is this: Will the 2.8 from a car that of that era bolt into my Ranger? Has anyone done this type of backward swap before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any tech tips/advice/help/opinions :icon_pepsi:

Nipplechops

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've done a similar swap, but I ditched a smoked 2.0L four banger for a 1985 2.8L in my '87 Ranger. You are starting out better than I did in aquiring an engine that is free of the cursed feedback carb system. I wasted a ton of time trying to get the EEC-IV system working but had no luck. I did eventually ditch the whole mess in favour of the Duraspark system.

All in all, it is fairly simple to do. Depending on what comes with the 2.8L engine, it is basically a bolt in swap. If the 2.8L doesn't come with engine mounts, the 2.9L units will work with some simple modification. Just be aware of the fact that this swap is illegal. Your truck will fail any visual inspection if one is required in your area for emissions purposes.

Hope this helps.

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
That's the best and only answer I've gotten so far. So thanks for that. My truck is a 5spd and I'll stick with that and the 2.8 has an aftermarket electronic distributor so hook up will be a snap. It's going to b nice being able to get ride of pretty much all the wiring mess as well. Only problem that I can really think of is the fly wheel. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 2.8 has the pilot bearing in the crank and the 2.9 has it in the flywheel. I hope to be able to just switch them out. The pictures I've seen of this engine look really good and he has produced reciepts for the work done to it.

I just need to get this truck up and going again. Emissions won't be a problem here in kansas. Thanks for the information.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals