• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD problem

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
How do I get the main shaft out. Are the bearings pressed on? My 3/4 synchros welded themselves together. I'm trying to get it apart to see if it's salvageable. Afraid they are also welded to the shaft. Trying to get all the gears, synchros off the shaft. Please help.

JunkYardDog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3 powerstroke diesel
Transmission
Automatic
your gonna have to take the trans completely apart. first start off by taking the back half of the trans apart. thats gonna have your reverse and overdrive in there. make sure you take pics of how things went or set them in the order they came out cuase if you dont put something in it will likely break again later. then your gonna take your input cover and your rear bearing retainers off. after that you tap on the shafts with a rubber mallot and pop the bearing races out of the holes. that should give you enough play to move the input forward and pull out the mainshaft. after you pull the mainshaft out then you can pull the input out. make sure you save the races and the shims

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
The gears won't come off the shafts. I have it all torn apart except the gears left on the main shaft. I think they may not come off.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The GEARS won't come off? Will they rotate?

If they won't rotate, you're done.

They should be held in by the synchronizer hubs, which in turn are held in by snap rings. The hubs may need some light pulling to come off, once the snap rings are removed. Shouldn't need much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals