• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

c4/c5 question

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had a hole in the c5 oil pan,i took the pan off i had to match up the filter with the parts store filters.figured out the c5 has a c4 vavle body.
my question is the spring and what looks like a valve,fell out.from what it looks like is the c4 filter has a spot for the spring,and the c4 filter i got didn't have it.so ,am i right about the spring and vavle sit on the filter?
i have a 302 and a c4/c5 transmission,in a 85 ranger.

bootleg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
no, the valve and spring should be in the valve body, and not on the filter...i'm curious about this. is this a vehicle you've recently purchsed, or have you been driving around with it like this for a while?

it's hard to say which valve it is, though, without more information and maybe a photo or two...but i can pretty much say for sure that it's not the modulator valve.

it might be a good idea to remove the valve body (which you can do safely without removeing the tranmission, although it'll put a crink in your neck) and buy a rebuild kit. my guess is if you're missing a valve, there might be some other problems with the body as well. look in the tech library...there you'll find some usefull information about the valve body and transmission in general. note from me: if you do remove the valve body, pay attention to the shift selector and how it sits in that particular valve: it's easy to reinstall the body, only to find when you shift out of park into reverse or drive, nothing happens!

as for the filter, there should be no "loose" parts other that the filter and the bolt which holds it to the valve body.

i've never worked on a c4, and couldn't confirm the similarities, but a c3 and c5 are also very similar (you could do a c5 rebuild with a c3 exploded view).

so maybe you could provide some pictures?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just did a rebuild on my c-4,couple of weeks ago anyway,dont remember a spring or valve...........
let me look at the video i used (wont be able to till tonight),it should tell...........
ill give any info i can find.....

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks,i had bought a b II that had the 302 and c5 in it.iam now switching it over into the ranger.
i'm not sure if it even came out of the pan,the valve was in the drain pan ,and the spring was on the floor.i have a 85 f 150 factory manual from ford,that has c5 info in it.i have been reading it,and looking at diagrams.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
let me know.
ill have to shuffle thru to find it..........

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm going up to my parents house ,where the ranger is and i'll take some pictures.i'll attempt to upload them on here

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The filter does hold that valve in on those types of c4 valvebody's. If you look at the filter you removed, you will see that in one corner, don't remember which one, there is a round area that covers a hole in the bottom of the valvebody. That is where the spring and valve goes. As you already noticed, the c5 valvebody is an entirely different animal.

Last edited:

Redriverranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I tried to find an image online that depicts the valve arrangement, but was not successful. There are many posts out there however that warn to not loose the valve and spring when you remove the filter. I have several of these transmissions with this same arrangement including one C4, and two C5's with C4 valvebodies. The pre-1970ish C4's had a different valve body, that did not utilize this spring and valve.

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok,today at lunch time,i went to another parts store.we matched the filter.i have a c5 with a 81 thunderbird c4 vavle body. i can finally get the filter on and pan back on.now i'll be a little closer to hearing the 302 run!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals