• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

33" Tires and 4" lift?

justincreager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Whats up guys, question. I've got an 88' Ranger XLT 2 wheel drive bone stock right now. I'm looking at what all I will need to do suspension and tire wise to make the truck look sick. I'm thinking 33's on 15x12.5's and a 4" skyjacker lift. In the tire fitment section it says if you do a 4" lift with 33's you need to have a 3" body lift. Not that I'm against jackn up the truck a little higher, but if I do the fiber glass fender flares (for stock 88 or Perrys 00 conversion) will I still need a 3" body lift? And while I've got your attention is the skyjacker kit any good? If you have an 88 or the same style and your truck is amped up, please direct me to some pics, I'd love to see em. Thanks for all your help guys.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
33x12.50 tires, and 12 inch rims, going to look like eazy e went offroading.

A 15x8 rim would be plenty.

for a desert truck/prerunner you dont want a drop bracket lift kit (like the skyjacker kit,trailmaster etc etc) you will want a beam that has camber correction built in to the beam....ie a "bent beam kit"

33's can fit.But you will need extened radius arms.so during bump travel the arc the radius arm makes dose not pull the wheel in to the firewall.or tub the firewall.

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
drop brackets are fine you will need them just dont get crazy with them like 6-8 inch drops then you put alotttttttt of stress on them

justincreager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
CanyonCritter, thanks for the fast response and the eazy-e visual :). I got most the info from this site http://home.off-road.com/~jricher/ in regards to tire wheel size. I love the way it looks and thought that was what would fit my application. I also think I posted the measurements wrong, 15in rim 33in tires. Why would I want to stay away from drop bracket kits? Not that I'm questioning your remark or knowledge, I'm just a noobie at all this and still don't understand all the ins and outs. Again, thanks for you help and thanks for puttin up with what I'm sure some might consider "Duh!" questions.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
33s will fit with fiberglass fenders on a 4" lift. if you want to beat on your truck off road i would suggest to do a bent beam kit vs the drop brackets. when your jumpin or hitting the trails hard those drop brackets will see alot of twisting on them and adds leverage to the frame where they bolt to. eventually the frame will bend or the bracket. yo ucna get away with the drop brackets for a bit as i myself did in my truck for quite a bit of punishing but for reliability id say get bent beams. you will defintely need to get longer radious arms also so either way you go make sure to get longer radius arms

justincreager

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
84projectFORD, would radius arm drop brackets suffice in place of longer radius arms?

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
3 inches suspension lift(an inch less in the front with the winch on) +

1" of trimming,33x12.5 on 15x10

3"s of trimming, 33x14 on 15x10

if you want stable, low and wide is better

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
84projectFORD, would radius arm drop brackets suffice in place of longer radius arms?

for just road drivin and minimal off roading yes. if you want the full ability of your bent beams or drop brackets i highly suggest longer radius arms. you will have much less bind int he suspension travel and the radius arm bushings will thank you for the longer radius arms lol

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
CanyonCritter, thanks for the fast response and the eazy-e visual :). I got most the info from this site http://home.off-road.com/~jricher/ in regards to tire wheel size. I love the way it looks and thought that was what would fit my application. I also think I posted the measurements wrong, 15in rim 33in tires. Why would I want to stay away from drop bracket kits? Not that I'm questioning your remark or knowledge, I'm just a noobie at all this and still don't understand all the ins and outs. Again, thanks for you help and thanks for puttin up with what I'm sure some might consider "Duh!" questions.

the old richer racing truck from back in the day.Good general info on the build.

in a high speed truck drop brackets are not ideal.They make a big lever on the frame,and you run the risk of smashing a bracket on full bump coming off a jump and such.Not saying you cant stomp a truck on drop brackets, it just not ideal.And for the price of a drop bracket kit,for not much more you could get the basics of a "beam" type of kit if you shop around.

If your just after lifting the truck to clear bigger tires and you can find a deal on a drop bracket kit ..........

so the question is ,d o you want slow or show, or fast and spend some cash?

koopersdaddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Whats up guys, question. I've got an 88' Ranger XLT 2 wheel drive bone stock right now. I'm looking at what all I will need to do suspension and tire wise to make the truck look sick. I'm thinking 33's on 15x12.5's and a 4" skyjacker lift. In the tire fitment section it says if you do a 4" lift with 33's you need to have a 3" body lift. Not that I'm against jackn up the truck a little higher, but if I do the fiber glass fender flares (for stock 88 or Perrys 00 conversion) will I still need a 3" body lift? And while I've got your attention is the skyjacker kit any good? If you have an 88 or the same style and your truck is amped up, please direct me to some pics, I'd love to see em. Thanks for all your help guys.
I have an 01 with a for inch lift and 33" tires. I dit not have to make any mod. Here is my link check it out l me know what you think.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3191747

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals