• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft threw a weight?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't really sure where to put this so here it is, I was inspecting my truck after work a few days ago and put it up on the lift. I saw immediatly that my rear axle seal was leaking... again!( I just replaced it when I rebuilt my tranny after I broke a few teeth pulling my freinds cummins out of a hole) so I inspected the u-joints both of which were bad, so I looked a the driveshaft and there was a nice rectangular shiny peice of bare unrusted driveshaft, damn.

I was wondering do I have to get it rebalanced some place or can I just use some of the sticky wheel weights and some hose clamps? Or can I even do this? (meaning shoud I try and find a junk ranger with a good driveshaft?)

sorry of this is the wrong forum.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would get a junkyard shaft. its probably your cheapest option for repair.

i wouldnt reccomend stick on wheel weights as the driveshaft spins 3-4 times faster than your wheels do and the centrifugal force would likely throw them off. holding the weights on with hose clamps will only add more weight to the setup. besides you have no idea how much weight was on there in the first place.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The driveshaft spins 3-4 times faster, but it is A LOT smaller. Centrifugal force scales as RPM * diameter^2.

But the statement about not knowing how much weight goes there is right on....

You can have the driveshaft balanced, but if it's really rusty, a replacement is called for.

JunkYardDog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3 powerstroke diesel
Transmission
Automatic
i work with drivetrains all day long at weller truck parts, if the driveshaft is rusty that doesn't matter. what would really matter is if your driveline angles are correct. with the angles being off that would cause the tube to twist and could throw a weight, and wear out your u joints prematurely. no its not gonna blow out your seal but a bad pinion bearnig could be the culpret to your seal going bad again. cheapway would be to go buy a new shaft but whats to say that one is unbalanced too. best way is to wire wheel the shaft bring it in and have it rebalanced with new joints. that way you can see if your weld seam is still straight and you will have a balanced shaft.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, Thanks guys, I ordered some u joints and I am going to see if we can rebalance shafts at the place I work, and I inpect the pinion bearing and seal while I'm at it, if I can't rebalance I'll nab a junk ranger with a few other good parts. (maybe, a bed bar!)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals