• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Calling all A4LD Experts!

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I've been having issues with the auto A4LD (not shifting into second), even though it has just been rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago. After tinkering around I have found this, what appears to be some sort of plug (it's rubber on the oustide, and metal on the inside), and well, it's not plugged into anything:

It is tied in with the other A4LD electrical wires. So who knows what this is, and where does it connect?

When it hangs straight down, it's right in front of the front diff. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
That looks like the wire for the oil level sensor in the left side of the engine oil pan. Mine has it too but I never bothered to plug it in.

As for the trans not shifting into 2nd, there are NO electrical issues that cause it. Be a valve body , servo or band problem.

goodrich63

Reaction score
that i believe is the wire to your knock sensor. it is located just above your starter on the drivers side. you may want to check you vacumn line going to the modulater on the passenger side of the tranny above your cat converter that may fix your shifting problem its tucked up above the pan alittle so you may have to feel around for it

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I've got the same connector hanging loose on my '89 XLT (don't think it's the oil sensor connector/gonna look for the knock sensor), but it shifts fine thru all gears & overdrive(lock-out). With 180,000 miles, it had a 2nd gear shifting problem, but I followed the tech library band adjustments, and now it shifts great and smooth (you can adjust the bands to get a smooth shift or hard shift).

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that i believe is the wire to your knock sensor. it is located just above your starter on the drivers side. you may want to check you vacumn line going to the modulater on the passenger side of the tranny above your cat converter that may fix your shifting problem its tucked up above the pan alittle so you may have to feel around for it
The knock sensor was only used on the '86-'87 2.9's.

That connector shown is for the oil level sensor.........

Not shifting/late shifting does sound like a modulator problem.

goodrich63

Reaction score
i have a 91 with a knock sensor on it. check your ford service manuals. mine was hanging just like tht one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals