• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 trans conversion

Quill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Bronco II, 8
Transmission
Manual
I have my eye on a 91 Ranger to replace my 87. The 91s 5th gear is gone. This has the automatic 4x4. The fellow will include another trans with a manual transfer case. He says it is a fairly simple install. My question is there a problem with the front automatic hubs. Will they cause a problem, will I need to change to manual locking hubs? Thanks for your help.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Any automatic locking hubs are junk junk junk..... and junk. My suggestion to you is replace them with manual hubs anyway. The transmission swap is fairly simple, especially if you've done it before. Other than that if you have any specific questions, ask away. Manual T-case is the way to go also.:) Wish I had one.....:rolleyes:

Quill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88 Bronco II, 8
Transmission
Manual
I am assuming it is a fairly straight forward conversion. Pull the old trans and case then mount the new one. Obviously it would be a good time to check the clutch. Is there any electrical differences? Will the shafts be the same? Any bracket differences? As far as automatic hubs, I know they are a weak link. I have had them on an 84 BII and a Jeep Cherokee. As long as they are cared for they seemed to hold up. These I would likely replace to help with longevity. Even the locking hubs can have problems like freezing in winter. That can be a real pain when you to lock hubs and you have to thaw the dials first.:temper:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals