• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD won't shift into second?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I searched and couldn't find out where to being troubleshooting.

I went hunting today, was on my way home and was stopped at a light. I just got off the highway crusin at 60ish. I notice the Range won't shift into second where it usually does. Think nothing of it, just keep going, it eventually shifts. Well it kept doing this until I got home ten minutes later. Well, it still does this. First gear will run up to 3,500 RPMS, then if I take my foot off the gas, it MIGHT downshift, but sometimes, after it has shifted, I give it gas and it pops out and goes back into first and the RPMS jump. I checked the flouid, and it looks fine. Could it be some sort of vacuum problem? It was rebuilt only about 5,000 miles ago (I bought the Ranger after it was rebuilt).

1992 Ranger, single cab short bed, 4X4, manual transfer case
A4LD (auto)
2.9L

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my daily driver. Thanks!

EDIT - The guy I bought it from said a brand new shift kit was installed in it when the tranny was rebuilt.

Last edited:

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does the trans fluid smell burnt, if it smells burnt then its toast, the a4ld were about the crappest trannies that ford made. mine did the same thing only with overdrive, i just switched it to a manual, fixed that issue. as far as checking anything inside the tranny i have no clue.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok I went and smelled the fluid. It didn't smell burnt. So....yeah. Anyone else know what I can test?

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Check the vacuum modulator and vacuum lines running to it. It plugs in on the back tee on the engine upper intake.

Could also be the governor sticking and it lives on the output shaft of the transmission. You have to remove the Tcase to access it.

Vaximily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you ever figure this one out?

Mine just started this after sitting overnight after a modulator replacement. (see threads here: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162918 and http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162872 ). It had been running perfectly during a 7 mile test drive up to 75mph, went to take it camping the next day and didn't make it a mile out of town because it wouldn't shift up out of second gear.

What I'm wondering is if somehow the weight load from a few hundred pounds of camping gear and tools could have caused this (I'm going to go take it for another test drive now that it's empty and will probably start a new thread with my finding and the situation).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals