• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 out & 4.0 In - Clutch / flywheel ?'s

Bobcat7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 99, 97, 89,
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, For
Transmission
Automatic
I just grabbed a '92 sploder for the engine, wiring harnes etc. I have done a 4.0 upgrade into an ol' B2 so I'm OK with the nuts and bolts.

My question - Can I use the 5spd manual from behind the original 2.9 in my
'91Ranger SC with the original clutch/flywheel? It has the heavier front end (dana35?)and I don't know what the diff is between transmisions (Mitsub./Mazda) I read on a diff swap thread that the Mitsu trans won't hold up very well. Altho I am not the gear-head that I used to be and will just use this truck for a work vehicle.

Isn't there a 10 or 11 inch clutch upgrade?

Do I buy a used one and re-surface or just go new -flywheel, disc, press'plate

What about phasing/balancing? My old flywheel looked like you could put it on in any position - no balancing issues?

Thanks for your help and I didn't mean "gear-head" like it's a bad thing...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Can I use the 5spd manual from behind the original 2.9 in my '91Ranger SC with the original clutch/flywheel?
You can, but don't expect it to last long. The 4.0's have the M50D-R1 manual transmissions behind them. The FM-146 your 2.9 has is a weak transmission compared to the M50D. The 4.0 will probably destroy the FM-146.

It has the heavier front end (dana35?)
You are correct, it does have the Dana 35 TTB front axle.

Isn't there a 10 or 11 inch clutch upgrade?
If you have a 2.9, it is a popular upgrade to install the 4.0 clutch system and flywheel. This will get rid of the 2.9's stock 8" clutch and upgrade it to a 10" clutch.

Do I buy a used one and re-surface or just go new flywheel
You can get a new flywheel for about $60. You would pay about the same to buy a used flywheel and have it resurfaced.

Always replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, and slave cylinder whenever you can. The slave cylinder is the weakest part of a RBV's clutch system.

What about phasing/balancing? My old flywheel looked like you could put it on in any position - no balancing issues?
The balancing is done via the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine. You can place the flywheel in any position without a problem

Bobcat7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91, 99, 97, 89,
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, For
Transmission
Automatic
Wow ya gotta love the internet. I would have to spend 20 bucks in beer to get the same info that I got here in milliseconds.

THANKS!!!!

BTW I bought this Ranger five years ago and drove it for a year before the 2.9 ticking, lack of power, collapsed lifters BS made me park it. If I can only get 10mpg I might as well drive the F250. This spring I forced myself to pull the 2.9 out so there was NO chance of reviving it. Now with e-bay I found a sploder with a leaking fuel line for 150.00 less than an hour away and I havew a winter project. I am sure I will be asking more questions

TYHANKS AGAIN!!!!

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck and nice find on the Explorer.

I wish I could find one so I can either swap in a 4.0 into my Bronco II or swap the drive train (lift, axles, etc.) into the Explorer.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you could prolly run the tranny for a while if you aren't trying to powershift or burn out with it.but the 2.9 clutch would die pretty fast.i could get a new 8 3/4" clutch to slip with little factory tires and no load in the back of my ranger.

like jonesy said just swap it all out

BTW i get about 18 mpg's with my 4.0 swap,4.10's and 33" tires
and its a low oil pressure whooped pile of a rolled over motor

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yup, like they said, the FM146 wont last long, and neither will the 2.9 clutch.

I have run a 2.9 clutch and FM146 behind a 4.0 with no problems before for about a year, but it was babied and was a DD with 3.27 and 235's.

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
just make sure you don't already have a m5od-r1 trans. i got a replacement for my 94 from the boneyard and it had a 2.9 bolted to it from the factory.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.9 M50D and the 4.0 M50D's have different gear ratio. The 4.0 M50D's are stronger.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
No - they are NOT stronger. There is zero difference in strength between the two transmissions. The differences in the transmissions is purely in the gear ratio selection to optimize for the slightly narrower power range of the 4.0.

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
:agree:
i asked a trans builder who knows mazda transmissions very well, and he said the same thing

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals