• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running Different

ranger1999xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 2.5L Ranger with 82,000 miles on it. I just changed the oil and gave it a sea foam. When I start the vehicle, the exhaust smells different than it used to. I also have been hearing spark knocking a lot too. I cleaned my MAF and my IAC. What would cause the change in exhaust smell? I also notied a lot more soot on the tips as well. I hope to god it isn't buring oil. I take really good care of it so at 82,00 I doubt it is oil buring. Any help would work! Thanks

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Sea Foam in the intake or Sea Foam in the oil?

In what way does the exhaust smell different? I'm not even going to ask why you go around sniffing your exhaust. :icon_confused:

ranger1999xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what I put sea foam through the vacuum line. When I warm my pickup up in the morning in the garage it makes the garage smell. I don't literly smell it. I smell it in the garage when I leave. It is better now. I think it is my EGR Valve. I am going to replace it and see if the spark knock goes away. Thanks

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing that the Sea Foam coated both the intake and exhaust systems and it will take a while before all of it has left the system. So the smell should dissappear over time.

Before spending money on a part that you may not need, have the codes pulled from the computer and see if it is complaining about anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals