• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Member a lot of questions

cdnturboz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merkur
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I just joined up on the site. I'm from winnipeg, manitoba, canada, and I'm looking to pick up a Ranger for a daily driver. I really like the 93ish Rangers with the extended cab/4x4.

Now for the big question, another one of the main reasons why I want to go with a ranger is I have an 1987 Merkur XR4TI with the 2.3L Turbo engine. The engine itself is rock solid (has only 140000 km's on it) But the car itself is starting to fall apart and parts for it are impossible to find. And the rockers are rotted out, etc.

How hard is it to swap the 2.3T in a 93-94ish ranger?

-What do I need for motor mounts??

-How about wiring harnesses? Can I use the merkur engine harness?

-Will the 2.3 bolt up to a ranger trans?? Can I keep the 4x4?

-Fuel pump? (I have a brand new 255 walbro that I've been running in the merkur, is it possible to swap it in?)

-Should I be looking for a 4cyl ranger, or can I use a v6 one? I've seen a couple pretty decent v6 extended cabs for cheap with bad motors, or high km's.

-Other than engine, where are some of the "problem" areas on Rangers?

I really like the 2.3T and wanted to start a cool project. This wouldn't be too radical as its more of an everyday truck and winter vehicle (I have a 08 Cobalt SS turbo , and 86 Shelby Charger for the summer)

I'm thinking of running about 15-18 psi intercooled.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've restored/modded my Shelby Charger from just a shell, so I am somewhat mechanically inclined, even had to mod the wiring harness to put the newer style turbo engine in.

thanks a lot
Steve.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
all i can say is 4x4 turbos are fun go for it

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
It will not only fit, it will fit perfectly. Just repin the harness in the Ranger to match the Merkur computer. Make sure you keep the VAM and all the elbows from the Merkur. As is true with any engine swap that's computer controlled, you have to fool the pcm to thinking it is still in the original vehicle by using all of the sensors and fuel system components. Basically swap the works from the Merk into the Ranger.

ps you may want to check the tech library about 2.3 turbo swaps. Lots of good stuff in there.
pps I used to have a Merkur too. I miss that car every day!

cdnturboz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merkur
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks it sounds promising then! Over the winter I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one. Do the v6's share the same motor mounts?

For 4x4 will the stock ranger v6/4cyl trans bolt up to the 2.3T?

As the tranny in the merkur is a c3 auto and its on its last legs...

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The 4 cylinder mounts will work. Not sure about the 6 cyl mounts but I doubt it. As for transmission a Ranger 4 cylinder tranny will match. If you go with a manual, you will need a different pcm.

cdnturboz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Merkur
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, I'll prob pick up an 87 turbocoupe ECU from ebay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals