• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no heat

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
to me this seems like a bad core, but i'll let you guys be the judge. i was hoping for just a problem with the blend door.... but after driving the truck home, only one of the heater core hoses is warm (the drivers side hose, if it matters).

i also heard about some sort of vacuum actuated valve... where is that located?

Darkhorse88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem. I was thinking it was the heater core so I was going to see if I could flush some water through the lines to unclogg it(btw just had to replace the radiator do to it being clogged and the truck overheating).

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just picked this truck up today. i noted that it does have a brand new radiator in it, so perhaps we are in the same situation there.

any idea where that vacuum valve is for the heater that i keep hearing about?

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i looked this morning with a flashlight, i dont see any valves inline with the heatercore that would stop coolant flow...

same thing as last night, drivers side heater hose is hot, passenger side is cold.

safe bet to buy a core this afternoon?

Darkhorse88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have no clue I have only had my truck a week. I was hoping someone else chimed in with some info.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well lets hope they do :) haha

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I haven't got heat out of mine for years unless I drive for an hour. I never thought to check the lines for heat. I just thought the dang thing was cold as the temp gage takes forever to rise unless I run the a/c in 100* heat.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't got heat out of mine for years unless I drive for an hour. I never thought to check the lines for heat. I just thought the dang thing was cold as the temp gage takes forever to rise unless I run the a/c in 100* heat.
Replace your thermostat. They aren't intended to last 16 years. Make sure the cooling system is full and that it pressurizes.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
replaced the heater core, $23 and a half hour later i have heat

dripdoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
vacuum valve

i just picked this truck up today. i noted that it does have a brand new radiator in it, so perhaps we are in the same situation there.

any idea where that vacuum valve is for the heater that i keep hearing about?
In my 97 2.3ltr it's in the hoses leading to the heater core. both hoses go into it and go out of it to the motor.
One to the t-stat housing(upper) that's the inlet.
The other leads to the bottom of the block(water pump I think).
Find the valve, and with your engine running have someone turn the temperature knob from hot (red side) all the way left to the cold side (blue side) and watch the little lever in the valve to see if it moves. it's a vacume actuated diaphram valve.
This valve controls weather water circulates through the heater core or bypasses it. I have air cond in mine so it needs to make sure no hot water is going through the core when you want cold air in the summer. I assume that's the same with cars without air also.

98 ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To OP your ranger doesn't have this valve, they didn't start getting this valve until 1995.

v8318cid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going to check/change the thermostat, be sure you check the condition of the housing. The neck that was used on the 2.3 liter in the early 90s has a habit of rusting out and crumbling over time, especially if the coolant mix is less than 40% antifreeze or is just straight water. The material that separates from the neck will inevitably end up in the heater core. Just replacing the core will not remedy the problem as the debris will end up back in the new core and you'll be putting a new one in every few months. Hopefully they changed the design shortly after the 92's though. FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals