• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cummins In A RBV . . .Anybody Tried It?

xsouthernrebel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302w , 4.0(350)
Transmission
Manual
I'm Opting for a sbc swap but i can get a cummins 6cyl. . . anybody ever tried this swap b4?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There has been Rangers with a Cummins in them before, I don't think that it's been done by anyone on this site though.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Search "mooktank" here and/or pirate4x4. His truck has since been parted out/sold.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
maybe this is a stupid thought but a 6 cyl cummins is a inline 6 right. Would that even fit in a RBV.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
No way to reasonably get a 6 cyl cummins in, but the 4BT has been done and wasn't too horrific.

Jake N

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a truck on youtube that has a 6BT in it. Looks like a 1996 or so reg cab ranger, 2wd, and black. It is bad ass! Alot of R&D but can be done.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
can you say drivetrain explosion?

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not to mention you will have to reinforce the frame so you will not rip it apart from all the torque.

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a couple of Isuzu 4BD diesels, they are similar in size and are the same displacement as the cummins 4BT. Eventually one is going to find it's way into my ranger. There is a guy on the 4BT swaps board that sells an adaptor kit to mate a dodge NV4500 5spd to them, which I what I'm leaning towards. And since I'll already have Dana 60's front and rear, due to my dually conversion (in process), the driveline should hold up to just about anything, just have to get some beefed up driveshafts made.

I have heard that even fitting a 4BT into a ranger takes some stuffing, so I'd say a 6 cyl. is hopeless, unless the dash out of one of the e-series vans will fit into a ranger, and you'd have to use an automatic tranny, cause if it was stick with a topload shifter, the shifter would be in the bed lol. I'm sure it has been done though.......

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure it has been done though.......
6BT Ranger

as he explains in another video:

5.9l/6bt. hes claiming 680HP, narrowed 9" coilsprung rear, AOD trans., 20 city28 highway, a/c, cruise.

as you can see, the engine is in the engine compartment, not the dash. im sure he could have run a manual trans with a slightly relocated shifter had he decided to.

its a big engine but its still just an automotive engine....they only get so big. theres guys running around with DOHC 4.6's and big block fords under the hoods of their rangers...you really think a little I-6 would have that much trouble?

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
6BT Ranger

as he explains in another video:

5.9l/6bt. hes claiming 680HP, narrowed 9" coilsprung rear, AOD trans., 20 city28 highway, a/c, cruise.

as you can see, the engine is in the engine compartment, not the dash. im sure he could have run a manual trans with a slightly relocated shifter had he decided to.

its a big engine but its still just an automotive engine....they only get so big. theres guys running around with DOHC 4.6's and big block fords under the hoods of their rangers...you really think a little I-6 would have that much trouble?
You happen to notice his front fenders are stretched like 8"?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm goin for the 4bt swap....it's gonna be a while before if gets done but I'll do a full writeup, with pics, parts lists and I may even fab a second set of brackets so someone else can do it too....

-andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals