• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I dont know what to do with my B2

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, but lookin to upgrade
Transmission
Automatic
I recently came into a stock 88 B2 the only work that has been done on it is a custom paint job and a chop top. Other than that its all stock. I wanna make it so I can bog in it....... I wanna swap out the shock and lif the body and suspension. What is a good aftermarkt shock for a bronco 2? aslo what is a good size lift for it to run through atleast 2 feet of mud and water? Also what is a good size tire to put on it? All suggestions will be appreciated.

KSBauer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
I recently came into a stock 88 B2 the only work that has been done on it is a custom paint job and a chop top. Other than that its all stock. I wanna make it so I can bog in it....... I wanna swap out the shock and lif the body and suspension. What is a good aftermarkt shock for a bronco 2? aslo what is a good size lift for it to run through atleast 2 feet of mud and water? Also what is a good size tire to put on it? All suggestions will be appreciated.

James Duff has shocks tuned for B2/Ranger wheelin'. They also have super nice lift kits that are the most complete for the money. They have 3, and 5.5in. lifts for the B2. Unless you're gonna change to a 8.8/Dana 35 setup, I'd only go with a 3" suspension lift and wheel carefully. The D35 and 8.8 will handle 35" tires with no problems. Most people go with 33's.

Hope I've helped.

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm actually new to mechanics and i have no idea what will work but i know what i want. I want dana 44s on my b2 and what are the biggest tires they will handle. I also want a 5 inch suspension lift and 6 inch body lift, i really wanna widen the wheel base too cuz i was in a roll over on wednsday involving an 04 ranger with the just about the same wheel base as the B2 and i want to make it less likely to flip in the B2

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Putting 11 inches of lift on it will make it top heavy and prone to roll. I would NOT put on a 6 inch body lift.

Last edited:

KSBauer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
I'm actually new to mechanics and i have no idea what will work but i know what i want. I want dana 44s on my b2 and what are the biggest tires they will handle. I also want a 5 inch suspension lift and 6 inch body lift, i really wanna widen the wheel base too cuz i was in a roll over on wednsday involving an 04 ranger with the just about the same wheel base as the B2 and i want to make it less likely to flip in the B2
The 5 in. suspension lift is reasonable. The 6 in bodylift....not so much. I feel with a 6 inch body lift, you'd shear the bolts in half and slide the whole body forward if you hit the brakes hard enough ( not really, but just saying). If you're really on having that as what you want. You'd probably be better off just buying a full size Bronco rolling chassis that already has the D44, ad just put your bII body on it. Putting a D44 in your BII IS possible, but requires TONS of work and not that cheap unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing. Either way since you're new to mechanics: It's going to be expensive, and a lot of work. I'm not saying don't do it, but just don't bite off more than you can chew. Good Luck.

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so what would a reasonable lift be?? maybe cut that lift to a 3 inch suspention and 4 inch body? and im not too worried about money and I have some friends that know what they are doing. they have rebuilt an early 90's F-150 and a pair of 67 mustangs. so i think they know what to do. but yea I'll take any of ur guy's advice since you all have more knowledge than i do

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Go the other way, 4 inch suspension, 3 inch body. Bronco IIs are more likely to roll than a Ranger due to their such short wheelbase, so I find it kind of funny you want to jack one sky high.

Even better would be cutting the fenders, that helps keeps the COG even lower. The 9 inch and D44 will help with stability, but even the D35 and 8.8 are wider and will help and are much easier to install. They will handle about a 35, depending what you do and how you set them up.

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
k what would i find D35s on? and what does the 8.8 mean?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Any Ranger 97 or older with a 4.0 and any Explorer 94 or older. The 8.8 is the rear axle behind the 4.0, you have the 7.5.

A 91-94 Explorer is an excellent donor since it will have the 31 spline 8.8, but it is spring under so you would have to move the spring perches to the top of the axle tubes.

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK I'm gonna tell you that half the stuff you are saying I don't understand. lol. I told you i was knew to mechanics

KSBauer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
If you're that new to mechanical installations such as this, I would HIGHLY recommend having a reputable shop do this for you or at the very least have a car savvy friend come over and offer his wisdom.

boydbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mid 80's not qu
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will do that when I go talk to my friend tomorro. I dont think i will ever hav a shop do work on my truck. <<< that's something I can't afford. just keep posting suggestions and I'll hav my friend help me decide what would be best for a mudding vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals