• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So I have all winter...

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
'87 Ranger 4x4, 2.3L NA as of right now. I'm fairly certain there is a problem in the head, but the compression test was fairly solid. I want more power out of this truck, but I don't really want to go with a full engine conversion swap. So I'm thinking turbo on this little 4 banger, with a low-rpm spooling turbo.

Now I have all winter to do this... so I can either swap in a used turbo engine, in unknown condition. Or I can do all the work myself on my current setup, rebuild the lower end on it and whatnot. The vehicle has about 200k miles on it.

Thoughts on which way to go? This is a trail vehicle only(but has to be streetable to get there and is plated)... and I've thought of turboing it to take E85 as well, since it's fairly accessible here, and can push some serious power.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your willing to put the time and money into a rebuild, why not rebuild a 2.3 turbo motor? this way you can still drive your truck n/a while the rebuild is in progress...plus you get the turbo motors forged pistons and oil return line etc etc.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
If you're going to wheel it, make sure you get a small turbo. A stock IHI is as big as I'd go.

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if your willing to put the time and money into a rebuild, why not rebuild a 2.3 turbo motor? this way you can still drive your truck n/a while the rebuild is in progress...plus you get the turbo motors forged pistons and oil return line etc etc.
Well I don't have a need to drive it, it's a 3rd vehicle. And I will likely spend more time on the slopes boarding, than on the trails wheeling this winter. So driving it is a non-issue.

My only concern going with a used turbo engine, is the status of the engine would possibly be unknown, and I might not have any recourse if I find out later down the line that there is something very wrong with it. Though I will have to look into it, and the availability of the turbo 2.3 in this area.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your rebuilding it, who cares what condition its in? all your after is cores anyway. theres nothing a little machining cant take care of.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should be able to buy a running TC or merkur for cheap enough. This way you know it runs and that you'll have everything you need.

My boost threshold wiht the ihi was 25-2800 or so rpm. Wouldnt be bad for a 4x4. I think it's a good compromise of economy and kick in the ass tq.

My miata uses a 15g and the threshold is 3800. Now that sucks. :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals