• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap questions

rkbrown13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know there is a ton of info on these swaps but there were a few thing i did not find. I have a 89 Ranger with a 2.9 5 speed, I just picked up a 91 ranger with a 4.0 auto. I am planning on using my trans for the time being. My question is what other parts am I going to need to find to do this swap? I will need a different computer and what parts will I need for the clutch? Also the 4.0 has 120,000 on it and runs good is there anything I should replace on the engine while its out? Thanks

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
4.0l clutch swap-in tech library

besides the cpu and clutch stuff you have everything you need.

get a new FORD lower gasket, rubber valve cover gaskets or no gasket and ultra copper.maybe rear main seal

before you put the valve covers back on loosen the rocker shaft bolts until none of the valves are depressed and use a straight edge to see if any of the valves are sunk from cracked heads.the tip of the valve will be higher than the rest.if so junk the heads.also replace any rocker arms and push rods that are worn,the valve stem digs into the rocker arm.i used some from another used engine,they don't all wear at the same rate for some reason.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals