• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 swap

ncrabbithunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I need info on what engine I can swap up to in my 1984 4x4 ranger 4speed manual tran,and what larger engine will bolt to this transmission it has a 2.8 would like to go to a 4.0 but what would this involve if I used excisting tran and went to efi instead of carburated

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i went from a 2.8 carbed to a 2.9 evi with no problem, the 4.0 will bolt in, you ust have to use the clutch and flywheel from your 2.8 for the install. you will also need the complete wiring harness and possibly the fuel pump(not sure) ...... if you got a 90 ish parts truck with a 4.0 you could swap everything in(even the dash) but it takes alot. i would suggest the 2.9 swap, its alot more straight forward and very hard to kill .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals