• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front drop springs '89 ranger

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am considering putting a pair of drop springs on the front of my ranger. Here's my reasoning...

I plan to grab an explorer rear end AND leaf springs, and use them as is. From what I read, the explorer leafs will raise the truck a bit if you mount them axle under. If I mount them axle over like the stock explorer, I'll end up a little lower but not too low.

I just want to lower the front enough that the truck isn’t squatting in the back... but I don’t want to screw up my alignment.

Thoughts?

NcRanger

Reaction score
If you use an explorer rear end it will already spring under. If your only looking to lower the rear like an inch you should try doing a shackle flip in the rear. Spring under in the rear will drop you like 3-4 inches. And if you use the stock explorer leaf springs I don't think you will lower the truck at all. Just my opinion. 2" drop springs in the front and a shackle flip in the rear with your stock axle will probably sit you about even.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm looking at the explorer rear end because i plan to put a 2.3t in there eventually. also, by going spring under i can run a set of universal (cheap :)) ladder bars.

from what i read on this site, explorer leaf springs with a stock axle (spring over) did raise the rear some (quoted at 1-1.5"), so i'm hoping that going spring under with the explorer leafs will kind of split the difference and give me a reasonable drop. if it doesnt lower it enough i guess i could do a shackle flip at the same time though

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I think by going spring under you will drop up to 5". The leaves should lift it about 2" though, so you should be 2-3" lower than stock.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so the 2" front springs should be a pretty good match?

how badly will they affect my alignment, and do you guys have any suggestions for lowering shocks (front and rear)?

NcRanger

Reaction score
I think by going spring under you will drop up to 5". The leaves should lift it about 2" though, so you should be 2-3" lower than stock.
he's talking about using the explorers leaf springs with the explorer rear. I don't think it will drop the truck at all.

and alignment shouldnt be a big deal just get a camber kit and take it to the shop

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
he's talking about using the explorers leaf springs with the explorer rear. I don't think it will drop the truck at all.

and alignment shouldnt be a big deal just get a camber kit and take it to the shop
It should drop it some. The explorer springs mount beneath frame, so when mounted outside the frame on a Ranger, it would sit lower.

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
right now i'm hoping that it will make the truck sit pretty level with stock front springs. if the front ends up higher i'll get some lowering springs.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Lowered '89 XLT too

I just lowered the front of my stock '89 XLT 3"" (had to buy adjustable camber bushings). The ride is stiffer. I removed the rear over-load springs and flipped the rear hanger brackets & got about 4" drop back there (I'll use adjustable air shocks to get the back of the truck level with the front and also add a little more pressure when carrying loads). ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A SET OF COIL SPRINGS WITH A 3" DROP & A LOWER SPRING RATE?

therieldeal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from what i heard you cant go that low with springs, the camber will be too far out

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I did the 3" drop on the front end---the tops of the wheels leaned toward the engine 1 1/4". I bought a set of 4 degree adjustable camber bushings, followed the directions, and got the wheels sitting true again. I trimmed just enough off the rubber bumpers to get some more clearance WITHOUT causing the tie-rods to hit the frame with the suspension bottomed out. I could have dropped it a total of 4" using the adjust. bushings, but it would be safer & better to install dropped spindles(I-beams).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals