• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine temp rising/falling

runnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey,

Did some searching and didn't find any info. My ranger temp seems to rise and fall suddenly. I had this problem over the summer and found that the clutch fan was bad. I replaced it and seemed to have fixed the problem. Now it seems the problem is back. Yes, it could be the fan again but I checked it and it seems to run as the day I put it on. Any thoughts? Also, when I am at highway speeds, the engine temp drops down almost to the "C". When I sit in traffic, the gage will slowly rise to about halfway and then drop back down to its usual location.

Thanks,

runnert

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The stock (or any electrical) gauge is not trustworthy, and "C" is not a temperature.

You need a mechanical temperature gauge if you really want to know what's going on.

Note that SOME cycling is normal. The thermostat does not open or close instantaenously.

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stock (or any electrical) gauge is not trustworthy, and "C" is not a temperature.

You need a mechanical temperature gauge if you really want to know what's going on.

Note that SOME cycling is normal. The thermostat does not open or close instantaenously.
"C" means cold or cool there bud. And electric temperature gauges work just fine.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
"C" means cold or cool there bud. And electric temperature gauges work just fine.
And just how many degrees is that?

And which vehicle do you have that has an absolutely perfect electrical system? How do you know this electrical gauge is making perfect contact everywhere, and that its biasing voltages are correct? Is the problem noted related to engine coolant at all or is it just the voltage regulator cycling (normally or abnormally)? Mechanical gauges don't have these variables.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
man you don't want to argue with mike on this one, he's right.

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
what year is your truck i had a 93 that did it from the day i bought it to the day i sent it to the bone yard. I never had an issue with over heating or anything of that sort. I pretty much ignored it.

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
low air flow

Hey,

Did some searching and didn't find any info. My ranger temp seems to rise and fall suddenly. I had this problem over the summer and found that the clutch fan was bad. I replaced it and seemed to have fixed the problem. Now it seems the problem is back. Yes, it could be the fan again but I checked it and it seems to run as the day I put it on. Any thoughts? Also, when I am at highway speeds, the engine temp drops down almost to the "C". When I sit in traffic, the gage will slowly rise to about halfway and then drop back down to its usual location.

Thanks,

runnert
It sounds like a perfect case of low air flow through the radiator. As in: the fan clutch to a crap on you. I gave up on the part store clutches and bought a Ford unit after three Kragen auto parts fan clutches failed in two years, and that took care of it.

rags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact same problem with my 94, did it for 2 years, Finally after 2 thermostats, 2 temp senders, I found it to be the heater core was not flowing enough. I tried flushing it, didn't work. I replaced it and all has been well now. You could check yours by looping the heater hoses and runinng it for a couple days. Just take the heater hose from the water pump and hook it to the intake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals