• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prizm misc. front end problems

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The Prizm got a flat yesterday, so the wife drove it into Wheel Works. Of course, they did an inspection, and came up with a worn balljoint and two worn inner tie rods.

I inspected them myself this afternoon, and I really don't feel anything wrong with it, except for a tiny bit of play (questionably detectible -- it's THAT small) in the left side inner tie rod. I don't have much experience with rack & pinion steering, but the parts are cheap (less than $25 apiece) and the thing is pushing 300K miles, and they are original, so I'm considering it anyway.

There is SOMETHING loose in front -- you can feel it a little at high speed (I think it's the left side driveaxle or side gear), and a separate substantial shake on braking. I think it just needs a major brake job (pads, rotors and new slide bolts; maybe calipers).

Wheel Works also reported a leaking left rear wheel cylinder. It's a bit damp; they scared the crap out of my wife; I think it can wait until the next rear brake job (~20% on shoes) unless it gets a lot worse. Due to the shudder, I may just do all four brakes in a few weeks.

Are there any "gotchas" inspecting these things with drooping but assembled suspension, or am I fooling myself by not disassembling and manhandling them? That balljoint really doesn't seem problematic to me.

This particular shop (Campbell, CA) has identified non-problems before; specifically, they blamed the previous brake shudder on rear wheel torque struts and even pried them claiming the bushings were shot. I replaced them and it didn't make a damn bit of difference; what DID was replacing the near-spec front rotors. I wonder if they tried to fleece my wife. They certainly tried to scare her, claiming the balljoint was at risk of dropping the wheel off (which might have been true if it were a LOT worse).

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A loose or worn front-end part can and sometimes will make noise in the front ends of vehicles , sometimes sounding amplified inside the car. If there is a little bit of play in any part the road will control that steer wheel with the loose parts. You figure the road you drive on is not perfect and probably crowned, which is controlling to the car..especially as light as it is. I would say your brakes are the least of the problem untill you start to apply them. Even then the tires want to "toe out". They say the wheel cylinder is a bit "damp"? Did they actually take the boot off and look at it or is it actually leaking out from behind the boot. If it is doing the latter of the two you know they need to be replaced. The fun part of this is take that same car back to that same shop with you in it and see what the response is that you get. They see a woman and think chiching and see the dollar signs accumulating, a long with a sucker sign on her head.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Mike, pop off the drums and check those wheel cylinders. I cannot legally pass a car for a DOT inspection if there's wetness of any kind there. Wheel cylinders are cheap and easy to do. As for the play in the front end, keep an eye on it and check it periodically. If it gets worse, replace the inners and take to an alignment shop when you're done. I know you are capable of doing the repair so you won't need to rely on someone you do not know to do the repair properly. BTW to properly check the front end, unload the suspension by placing a jackstand under the balljoint and then check for play. At that point you will know how much play is really there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals