• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shorted sticking Starter Relay?

runtime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
When you try to start you get a click, everything dims like you have a dead battery (Radio presets/clock clear - headlights really dim). Sometimes after turning the key off then on, everything works, other times stays like something is sucking all the current for a little while then recovers.

This spring when it did it, I just left it and later had to jump start. Afterwards the battery wouldn't take a charge, so new battery. Today, It recovered once then stuck. When removing neg cable from battery, something was really sucking the battery down.

My question is, could the starter relay solenoid be shorting to ground and sticking? Sometimes releasing and other times just staying shorted until the battery goes dead. Didn't happen until I replaced the starter awhile back.

BTW it's a 1987 2.3L

Last edited:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
If your problems started when you replaced the starter, I'd lean towards a bad starter.

runtime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Starter Solenoid

Pretty sure it is the relay. Since it seemed to keep stuck for awhile even after turning the key off. By the time I'd get out to check with my DMM it would release. So just did a quick shotgun and Replaced it with a spare aftermarket Glow Plug relay I had for my 97 F250. Looks the same, except metric nuts.

Seems to fix the problem, time will tell.

Last edited:

runtime

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Final Diagnosis

Shotgun repair sometimes doesn't work. Wasn't starter relay, reman starter wasn't it and new battery wasn't it. Turned out to be a spot in the alternator that had a compete short. About a 10° point in the alternator rotation that was a dead short. You wouldn't see any effect while running, but if it stopped in that certain spot it would suck enough current that you couldn't even crank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals