• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

small brigs engine

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
help , i have a snowblower that's been sitting for allmost 2 years now and tried to get it running tonight. i found the carb full of gumed up old gas { as i expected}. i took the carb apart and cleaned what i could and reasembled it put fresh gas in the tank and presto it started on the second pull. ran ok for awhile and i shut it off and it restarted first pull. now it won't start at all , if i put a small amount of gas in the plug hole it will run for 2-3 seconds.
what would you sugest to get the carb ready for the season?

thanks in advance for any help,grey ghost

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plugged up no doubt. I would dump out the tank, unhook all of the lines, take the carb back apart and blast every orifice with carb cleaner with a tube in the nozzle. Dirty carbs are the #1 problem by far with small engines.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
great now how would you go about cleaning out the tank?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whenever I have a problem I either get a one-time explosives permit from the ATF or I get 20 tons of gravel delivered. Just take it apart and go at it with whatever you can think of. Air hose, garden hose, strong chemicals. Here's what's important--the gas comes out of the tank. Gravity sends it into the fuel bowl past the needle and seat. When the bowl is full, the float rises and presses the needle into the seat stopping the flow. When you pull the start cord and the piston falls into the bore, the rush of air through the venturi creates a low pressure area. This low pressure area draws fuel through the jet in the bottom of the bowl via a passages, air is leaked into it to create an emulsion (think sea foam-God's kind, not the product) and then it slips into the air stream and heads for the backside of the intake valve. Anything that prevents the fuel from getting there is what you need to check.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i changed carbs with my tiller and ran it off another tank runs like a champ so i may just ditch the old tank instead of cleaning it but i do need to clean up that other carb
thanks for the help

BullDogJay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What kind of engine is it? What horse power? I'm a small engine tech and deal with these problems all day!!!

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's a tecumson{ poor spelling} 5 horse and it sat for 2 years when i pulled off the botem bowel it was a nasty yellow color and was full of gunk. i tryed to clean it and it ran for a couple minutes and quit so i asume i didn't get it all

BullDogJay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, To clean out the tank just remove the fuel and remove the two 3/8 bolts on top of the tank and pull it off then what I do is spray brake cleaner in it with a straw and then blow air it from an air compressor upside down if you don't have on just turn it upside down and shack the living crap out of it!!! Remove the carb and disassemble it if its a recent carb oppisite the fuel line fitting there is a plastic cap, yank that of and remove the idle jet and clean that out aswell has spraying in that hole. in the tower there is a hole in the side, inside make sure when you spray into the idle hole the fluid comes out of that hole in tower and clean the main jet which is the bowl screw reassemble carb but not the bowl turn carb upside down and check float height it should be level with bowl mounting surface or slightly going down hill from the hinge if it is up higher then level you need a needle and seat part#631021B the seat may have swollen from the ethenayl in the gas and causing not enough gas into the bowl to keep engine running or go to a small engine place and buy new carb it will come with a mounting gasket Hope this helps you!! J

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks , i think i'll just put the tank from the tiller on there for now and just get a new carb and tank in the spring for the tiller. with the blower being old and the tiller being 3 years old i think i'd rather have the new stuff on the tiller lord only knows how old the snowblower is it's an old monky ward blower

thanks may the fleas from a thousand camels carry cold ones to you from the fridge :beer:

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
vac leak doubble check your gasgets on the carb or any other intake part

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals