PDA

View Full Version : Alternator questions

akshep
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
well my alt died so i got a replacement today. i installed it but have no idea how to wire it. i looked at the wiring diagram but if someone could dumb it down for me i would appreciate it. oh and its a 1984 2.8L 4x4.

thanks in advance

Will
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
It's not the same as the old one?

akshep
10-21-2008, 07:52 PM
no there are more places to hook up wires on this alt than the last one. the wiring on this truck is a nightmare. There are 4 wires that hook up to it i got the ground hooked up but that is about it.

Rammunition360
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
well shit son hook em all up diffrent ways till it works

enginepaul
10-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't have a camera handy, but if there is a Ford anywhere near you, look at it - the colors and positions are probably the same or very close. If your wiring harness isn't damaged - and you have the right alternator - it should only go one way.

Will
10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Do you see little letters cast into the alt where the terminals are?

Most likely you have an internal regulator so the wires you should have are a charging wire, a sensing wire, a charge indicator wire and the ground. The charging wire probably says B+ or Bat and goes to the starter relay. The sensing wire probably goes to power dist. and the indicator wire goes into the instrument panel. There may be a terminal for a radio noise suppressor too. I don't know what the other markings are. Most engines have a big plug that encompasses it all. If you could tell us the markings it would help.

Rammunition360
10-22-2008, 09:10 AM
you want me to take a pic of mine?

akshep
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Do you see little letters cast into the alt where the terminals are?

Most likely you have an internal regulator so the wires you should have are a charging wire, a sensing wire, a charge indicator wire and the ground. The charging wire probably says B+ or Bat and goes to the starter relay. The sensing wire probably goes to power dist. and the indicator wire goes into the instrument panel. There may be a terminal for a radio noise suppressor too. I don't know what the other markings are. Most engines have a big plug that encompasses it all. If you could tell us the markings it would help.

i'll take a look when i get home from work

Crunchy
10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Call the place you got the alternator, ask them, I'm sure they can help.

enginepaul
10-22-2008, 09:26 PM
From the 1985 Ranger/Bronco II Electrical trouble shooting manual:
Black /Orange stripe wire to the terminal marked "B"
Orange / Light Blue stripe wire goes to The "F" terminal
White / black stripe wire goes to "S" terminal
The unmarked terminal is ground; that may be the case

These color code are used in other Fords too.

good luck