• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i beam flip

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
has any one flipped the i beams on a 2wd ranger to achieve lift and if so how hard is it?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
umm...im guessing you would have some really neat camber specs if you were to attempt this :fie:

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
not really i have pics of a friend of mine did.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
LOL, then post them. I doubt you would ever be able to get it aligned.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
for granted this was on a full size truck the suspensions are practically identical.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
lmk what you think it is very possible to do it if you have the right tools and matrial

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
those pics dont prove much. his caster cant be very good with the kingpin leaning out like that, and for that matter, we cant see if the camber is anywhere close or not...plus those radius arm brackets look right out of the "scary steering" webpage.

you may have noticed on your axle beam where it says "do not heat, cut, weld"? theres a very good reason for that.

if you want to turn a good truck into a ghetto, half-assed hack job, just to save a few bucks, then why did you bother to post? please, bust out the tourch and go to town. my only request is that you do NOT drive this time bomb on the same roads that me and my loved ones use :rolleyes:

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
All those cobwebs makes me think it's not a daily driver....

Makes you wonder why he hasn't driven it in years....

Ryan

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
those radius arm brackets look scary as heck..please keep that truck away from me on the roads.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
that is flat out ghetto......steering angles are all messed up, no caster and I bet its a handfull to drive.

the reason that worked on that truck(wellI guesss you can call it worked) IS cause its a mid 60's-79 truck with equal lenth beams.And the beams have a kick as you can see at the end of the beams.(right before the kingpin)

The ranger is un-equal lenth, you have a short and long beam.and the ends do not "kick" at the ends like the old equl lenth beams.

besides if you just flip the beams the only thing that going to be holding the beams to the psindles is going to be the lower now upper ball joint nut.not the ball of the ball joint.and that would be very dangerous.

If you want to lift your truck more than a couple of inces around 4inches look in to bent beams or just get some drop brackets to correct camber from the taller springs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Only the 89 and newer ranger,bronco2, f150's etc have the "do not bend/weld" casted in to them.As they are "cast" beams. every ford 88 and older has forged beams.
The reason this was casted in to them, is cause back in the day 81 and older f series trucks to aline them they had to bend the beam as there was no adjustment in the kinpins.
Once the beams went to ball joints they had adjusment.but soem old timers proably never caught up on that and ford to save thier ass, proably thougth it was a good ieal to cast that in to the beam.So joe the aligment guy didnt bend the beams like he always had then 50 miles down the road the beam snap and for get sued.

Truth is, the cast beams can be bent and weld on.But you realllllyy have to know what your doing.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
you may have noticed on your axle beam where it says "do not heat, cut, weld"? theres a very good reason for that.

the i beam was not cut or heated or welded. if you notice they are upside down so where do you get cut, heat, weld? the drop brackets for the radius arms were the only thing that was cut. here is a pic of the front of the truck

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
in order to get the caster anywhere close to proper, the beam would have to be cut or bent.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah its just a bad idea all together, ball joints that are now filped around and being pulled on instead of how they were designed to be pushed down apon so i see ball joints poping out in the near future. that FS has king pins so he does not have to worry about that. caster will be way out so your steering wont return to center and will probably give bad bump steer. If you post up some better pics of your buddies beam ends i can show ya between your beam ends and his why it wont work well and be a bad idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals