• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 8.8 in B2?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So heres the deal I bought this little silver and blue Ford truck about two months ago while looking for a cherokee, so it wasnt what I really wanted but for $600 i couldnt pass it up. Hell the tires were worth $600, 104 miles on the new rubbers when I bought it. This little truck sat in a garage for all except 104 miles of the last two years. So I figured Id use it for a dayly driver and maybe wheel it a little too, and keep looking for my cherokee. So I bring this thing home and start lookin on the internet for some info on it and I come across this website called The Ranger Station thats just loaded with all kinds of info on this thing and some badass pictures of B2's. I start to think to myself that this little truck might make a bitchin wheeler, plus it was pretty fun to drive. That night I said the hell with the cherokee I love my B2. And here we are my first post and Im just about ready to start building my B2 into a badass mudd slinggin wheeler.

OK now we get to the Ranger 8.8. A buddy of mine who I go to school with gave me an 8.8 out of what we believe is an early 90s ranger, not for sure cause he is a Jeep guy and he dont know crap about Fords. And before anyone says it I know the 8.8 from an exploder is better but like I said he gave it to me, and you cant argue with free, so I'll make it work. My question is, has anyone done it? Any advice? Do I have to move the spring perches at all? And does anyone know the pinion angle for an 87 B2?

Also the same guy is giving me a 4.0 out of another early 90's Ranger with a c4 auto trans.

-Jester

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You will have to move the spring perches outward as the BII springs are farther apart than the Rangers.

bullitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got my 8.8 out of a 92 4.0 ranger, and i never had to move my spring perches, it was a nice lil swap in. Throw in some Yukon 4.56 gears and a ford limited slip unit, and i absoulutley love the way it performs. I even spliced the old Rear Anti-lock brake sensor from my 7.5 to wire up to the new 8.8. It's doubtful that i would have ever destroyed that 7.5, i dont get to extreme in off roadin, but i got my 8.8 for free too, and i figured why not.

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The reason for the Explorer Diffy being more desireable is the axles have a 31 spline versus the 28 in the Ranger Diffy. The 31 spline is stronger.
If you grab the axles and spiders (might need whole carrier) from an Explorer they should swap in if you need that little bit extra strength.

With that 4.0L engine, be sure to get the wiring harness with it as well as the computer. The 2.9 computer won't do the 4.0 any favors if you try to use it.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I got my 8.8 out of a 92 4.0 ranger, and i never had to move my spring perches, it was a nice lil swap in.
Just because you were able to make it work doesn't mean it's right. I forced a ranger 7.5 into a b2 parts rig after I took the axle, I would never do that for a rig that sees the street. I think there's around a 2" total difference in spring perch spacing.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The reason for the Explorer Diffy being more desireable is the axles have a 31 spline versus the 28 in the Ranger Diffy. The 31 spline is stronger.
If you grab the axles and spiders (might need whole carrier) from an Explorer they should swap in if you need that little bit extra strength.

With that 4.0L engine, be sure to get the wiring harness with it as well as the computer. The 2.9 computer won't do the 4.0 any favors if you try to use it.
you can't use Explorer axles shafts in a Ranger axle; the Explorer shafts are longer.

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you can't use Explorer axles shafts in a Ranger axle; the Explorer shafts are longer.
Thanx mjones, I thought the wheelbases were the same. My bad......

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'll be doing this swap very soon. I've got my bare axle almost ready. Just need to get it from being re-geared. Install the new wheel bearings and seals, locker and disc brake backing plates. The shock mounts and spring perches have been removed already.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Getting close to having this installed. Just need to find the time to pull my current axle. Set the ranger axle in and weld up the perches and shock mounts. It'll get a coat of paint then will be bolted back in for good.

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
this is acording to the tech section.
The right side Bronco II axle shaft is 1-5/8" wider than the 1983-1992 Ranger shaft. All of this additional width is in the passenger side. The drivers side shaft is the same length in either axle assembly.

On ALL Ranger/bronco II's the drivers side axle shaft is longer than the passenger side.

check this section out
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals