• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Turbo

ml23t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 Ford Ranger 2.3. It is an early '90 with a speed density system, no MAF. I have also recently acquired a 2.3 turbo engine from a 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I have the engine and an 8UA computer from the car. I have a wire harness from an 88 or 89 N/A 2.3 Mustang because I am told that is a much simpler way to go than to use the Turbo Coupe harness with the electronic ride control etc... Now I am rebuilding the mechanical parts (the engine) and am wondering about the wires, connections to body harness in the Ranger and things like that. I have a vane air flow meter like the one from a T.C. but i'm not quite sure how compatible everything is and what to expect. I have done carbureted engine swap before and am a competent mechanic but this turbo Ford thing is a first for me. I have looked online and found some great resources, one of which is this site. I'm looking for any advice I can get. Thanks!

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I also have a running 88 turbo coupe in my garage right now.. could sell it to you. want to put my 07 mustang gt back in lol... I live in Warren, MI

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
On my '93, the lights, dash gauge senders, and engine harness are all intermingled. Since your '90 is already a 2.3L, 90% of the pins will be the same. It should be easier to modify the existing harness than splice the new one in. The TC harness will be good for pigtails at least though, VAM, coil, etc. Take a look at the diagrams for your 8UA and the comp that's in the truck now and note the changes you'd make to match them up. It's closer than most people realize.

ml23t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!

That description really explains a lot. Thanks! I have a few more questions though. Can anyone send or give a link to the pin out pics for that 87-88 TC 8UA and for an '88 Mustang? I was wondering how the stock tach will work with the TC distributor. I now have 35 lb injectors and the big VAFM from the TC, its starting to shape up. I took the advice given in that post and got an N/A Mustang head and intake. I will open the combustion chambers and check them all w/ a burette. Does anyone know what size the stock '87 turbo head chambers were? I still want to use the 88 Mustang harness cuz that way I can keep driving my Ranger and mock it all up on the engine stand. Plus the ignition systems will be that same this way. Thanks again! Mike

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You will have to separate the lights, etc out of the ranger harness, as they're all combined.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals