• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9 wont start

aukai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just got done with the heads, so i put my motor back together, and i had the wrong firing order at first, so iredid that, checked tdc and set the distributor to number 1, and she wont start, the motor sounds like it is about to start, but it wont. i think my wires for the injetors are not plugged into the correct injectors but im not sure what exact plug goes to its correct injector... can someone help me, might not be that just give me ur input. thanks

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just got done with the heads, so i put my motor back together, and i had the wrong firing order at first, so iredid that, checked tdc and set the distributor to number 1, and she wont start, the motor sounds like it is about to start, but it wont. i think my wires for the injetors are not plugged into the correct injectors but im not sure what exact plug goes to its correct injector... can someone help me, might not be that just give me ur input. thanks
I think it would still run if the injectors were mixed up, but I don't know that for sure, I've always marked everything to avoid situations like this. It's a multi-port design, which means 2 banks of 3 injectors fire.

The injectors are grounded from the PCM, and get +12v once the ECC relay turns on.

ECC pin 58 - injector bank 1 (cylinders 1,2,4)
ECC pin 59 - injector bank 2 (cylinders 3,5,6)

If you're only getting a single pop once your cranking for a good while, then nothing, the timing is still 180 off. You might have to have someone help adjust the distributor when setting the inital base timing if you're having issues with the no start. At least you'd know the timing was right, then could work your way to find why the engine is not running.

Pete

aukai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks pete, i was able to start my truck today, my timing firing order was off, but now i have really poor low end power, and it misses around 3 grand, i think it maybe the timing. so i will redo my timing and then check on the injectors, what is ecc, and where is it located?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals