• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fule pump problems. DESPERT NEED!

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 broncoII with a 89 fule pump on it. I have been haveing problems out of it for a wile. I went to day put a good batt in it and it kicked on fine. I put 5 gal of gas in it now nothing. I have no ideal what the problem is. Plz help me out asap. I need my bronco:3gears::3gears::3gears:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
that is a 2 pump system if i remember correctly. does one or both pumps kick on? (in tank and frame rail right by the radius arm mount on the drivers side). you turn the key to ON and check the little valve on the fuel rail for pressure?(sherad (sp) valve)

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It has one pump the one in the tank.
I am goin to try to drop the tank.once again. And take some rtv and put around the fule pump. Something ahs to be gettin wet inside the pump for it no tto kick with the gas in it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Have you checked to make sure it is getting power with the key on? (with a lighttester/voltmeter)

Have you checked if there is pressure on the fuel rail?

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
that should be a 2 pump system, make sure all relays and connections are good. the intank pump is not that expensive. i paid $115 with sending unit.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have changed it from a 2 pump system to a 1 pump system off of a 89 broncoII. I have cheacked everthing. New relays. Could gas be gettin to the eltc stuff in the fule pump and shorting something out?

rbrocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you take the front pump out?

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
You could always run your own power and ground to the pump... Its not unheard of for new pumps or old to go bad once installed in an old tank? The tank or fuel pump could have a bad or lose ground. heck till you get it straightened out I would just run new wire and relay.. pretty cheap for a 30-50 amp relay. Also make sure the pump has a good ground... You could just have a switch in the cab for the fuel pump for now.. might be extra hard to steal your truck like that too!! 5 gallons of gas shouldn't short your pump. I haven't heard of gasoline shorting a fuel pump. Not sure how possible that is... Even in salt water it should work with exposed wires. Voltage would drop some, but not enough to shut pump off.. 12v shouldn't short out completely in most fluids.. I would make sure you don't have a drain on the battery too. Could it have gone dead?

dzk007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Check your rollover safety switch if you aren't getting power to the pump. It can pop from a "perfectly placed jolt" pretty easily. It's somewhere around the pass front floor panel and has a red button to reset it. The reset has a shroud around it and you may not be able to see the actual button but you can tell something is there...

Remember, when you turn the key on it only sends power to the pump for 3 seconds or so to prime the system. Then it doesn't give it power till you are turning over the engine.

ttfiveohranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8 Twin Turbo
Transmission
Manual
bad alternators can drain batteries as well... I would check it out to make sure it is still a fully charged battery.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 87 broncoII with a 89 fule pump on it. I have been haveing problems out of it for a wile. I went to day put a good batt in it and it kicked on fine. I put 5 gal of gas in it now nothing. I have no ideal what the problem is. Plz help me out asap. I need my bronco:3gears::3gears::3gears:
i just went through the same problem
first lift the passenger carpet by transmission housing,just under the heater box is the inertia switch it shuts down the pumps if you get hit to hard
unplug the wire clip and put a jumper in it then try starting those switches can wear out easily
second the ground wire from the cpu to the batt likes to rot so chek your bateery ground cable and the haynes manual will show you all the wrong colors for the wiring i have a decent chart with the right colors
let me know if you need any more info

stan346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 94 Ranger (4.0 4X4) won't start after it sits all night. I hear the fuel pump running constantly when I turn on the key but don't try to start it. Could it be the fuel pump relay? When it does finally start, it seems to be running rich for a while and the CEL is on but will clear after a few miles of driving. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 94 Ranger (4.0 4X4) won't start after it sits all night. I hear the fuel pump running constantly when I turn on the key but don't try to start it. Could it be the fuel pump relay? When it does finally start, it seems to be running rich for a while and the CEL is on but will clear after a few miles of driving. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
sounds like a spark issue is it distributer or dis module

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals