• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 diesel info? swap into 87 with a 2.8?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know the transmission info for these?
i would like to put a 2.3 diesel in my 87 4x4 anything helps

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had a complete donor truck to start with.

What we did with ours was swap the bell housing over from the diesel to the gasser tranny. If both trucks are the same year it *should* work no problem. The 1985 diesel donor truck had a toyo kogyo 5 speed transmission and the late 1987 gasser had the mitsubishi 5 speed.

Ideally you should use the toyo transmission if you can because it has better and closer gear spread. The 2.3 turbo diesel is peppy, but it has a hard time spreading the gap between gears with the mitsu transmission in our diesel swap. Not a deal breaker, but it can take some more planning to get the most out of it when driving.

The diesel donor was 2wd and our truck was 4wd, so keeping the diesel transmission was not an option. The only snag we had with the bell housing swap was the newer style gasser tansmission had a bolt on slave cylinder and the older one was held in by the bell housing (I think the change over year was 1986). We had to modify the face plate of the newer transmission to accomodate the slave cylinder of the older one. Still working a few years later.

A little late, but hope it helps.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a complete donor truck to start with.

What we did with ours was swap the bell housing over from the diesel to the gasser tranny. If both trucks are the same year it *should* work no problem. The 1985 diesel donor truck had a toyo kogyo 5 speed transmission and the late 1987 gasser had the mitsubishi 5 speed.

Ideally you should use the toyo transmission if you can because it has better and closer gear spread. The 2.3 turbo diesel is peppy, but it has a hard time spreading the gap between gears with the mitsu transmission in our diesel swap. Not a deal breaker, but it can take some more planning to get the most out of it when driving.

The diesel donor was 2wd and our truck was 4wd, so keeping the diesel transmission was not an option. The only snag we had with the bell housing swap was the newer style gasser tansmission had a bolt on slave cylinder and the older one was held in by the bell housing (I think the change over year was 1986). We had to modify the face plate of the newer transmission to accomodate the slave cylinder of the older one. Still working a few years later.

A little late, but hope it helps.
Thanks but ya too late. no more 87 4x4. now have 88 2wd, 2.9, keeps me happy, and has actually out done a 4x4 chev 1/2 ton twice now. Good for some laughs!!!

David85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That was the engine my sister's ranger originally had. I would argue its the best of all the ranger gas engines in the 1st generation. Ran well when we pulled it but all the EFI electrical was starting to develop gremlins and sis got bit by the diesel bug after driving my 86 F250 one day.

We found a diesel ranger donor and the rest is history.

But the 2.9s can often rack up crazy high miles before they die.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was the engine my sister's ranger originally had. I would argue its the best of all the ranger gas engines in the 1st generation. Ran well when we pulled it but all the EFI electrical was starting to develop gremlins and sis got bit by the diesel bug after driving my 86 F250 one day.

We found a diesel ranger donor and the rest is history.

But the 2.9s can often rack up crazy high miles before they die.
Im quite aware, as 275 and still movin under it's own power is good, my 2.9 needs work. its OK, but its sluggish due to water in the engine i believe, and maybe a fuel pump problem, or filters, or injectors, or timing, or vaccuum line, ETC... might just get the 302 and get it over with. But i would for sure get in trouble with that.... DEFINITLY... :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals