• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front end noise/knocking...whats going on?

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, heres the story.
i took it out sat. all day hill climbing, and driving on trails.
came home no problems whatsoever sat night.
sun. morning, drove out to I-5(approx. 45-50 miles) to visit someone, on the way home i hit up a local wheeling spot. hillclimbs galore w/shale(sharp loose rocks) everywhere. i was in 4wdL in 1st. as soon as i left the place, put it in
2wd and unlocked the hubs. i drove about 5 miles and the the front end started chattering. like something was caught on the axle shaft itself, spinning then catching on something. i got out locked hubs(still in 2wd) and it got quieter. put in 4wd, it goes away xcept for unusual binding turning left and when hubs are locked and in 4wdL something pops when its under load.
can anyone help? if any questions,feel free to ask. thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds a little bit like it could be an axleshaft u-joint, although I'm not sure (this shouldn't have made any noise in 2WD though).

Have you taken anything apart to look at it yet?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You sure the hubs and things were unlocked?

It could be the bearings in the spindle that the axle shafts ride on, they only turn when in 2WD with the hubs unlocked. They are just a bunch of needle bearings. May be worth a look.

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds amazingly simillar to a problem I'm having. I just installed the manual hubs so I took 'em back apart mostly and everything seems fine there... With the new hubs I took her out for a little light wheeling and had to turn around, noticed a good clunk when turning hard left.. Two days later I've got the same sort of chattering in 2wd....

You sure the hubs and things were unlocked?

It could be the bearings in the spindle that the axle shafts ride on, they only turn when in 2WD with the hubs unlocked. They are just a bunch of needle bearings. May be worth a look.
Good point, but would that cause the binding on a left turn when in 4wd? Or maybe coincidence-bad axle U-joint too?

Ranger23695

Reaction score
I don't remember what it was on but one of the guys at the shop did a brake job on a 4X4 and when he was done it had a bad knocking in the front end. Now this could have been auto locking I don't know but one side would not unlock when it should have. I had to raise the front end and unlock them. Once both were free the noise was gone. You might jack it up and check that both hubs are unlocking??

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4X4 junkie, you were right, axleshaft u-joint,
I don't know why it made the noise in 2wd either.
It was only flexing one way, replaced it, noise is gone.
Go figure.

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How hard is it to replace a U joint the same thing happined to my truck. Oh its a 1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 with manual hubs.

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's not that hard, not that easy either... You gotta remove a lot of parts to get to them.
You'll need the special spanner socket to get your lockwashers off.
Mine's a 1990 too, my biggest problem was rust, stuck parts.
I'm right in the middle of doing the pass (right) side now.
The spindle was stuck on so tight I had to bash it from every concievable angle before it started to move.
I got the shaft out and the clips off the outer u-joint and decided to take a break and log in here.
Good luck if you do it yourself!

mitch4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info, were could i get a spanner socket..at a local auto parts store? or would i have to get it from the stealer ship

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got mine at the local autozone, so you should be able to find one. It was like $12-$13.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Diff noise?

Out wheeling today, 88 Super cab 2.9 auto, climbing in low range first gear and at times it sounded and felt like something slipping a gear tooth (BANG) and I would continue on all OK, it's done this many times.

A new noise today sounded like the diff was out of oil or a wheel bearing had gone out with no warning. After stopping at our staging area for my bud to load his bike and I to air-up, I started the short trip home (cautiously) in 4X2 and all was well for awhile but then the noise came back.
I pushed the 4X4 button and the noise stopped but came back in a few seconds, I shut off 4X4 and the noise stopped again for a few seconds, on and off a couple more times and all was good the rest of the way home.
I think it may have something to do with the electrical system for the 4X engagement ?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Out wheeling today, 88 Super cab 2.9 auto, climbing in low range first gear and at times it sounded and felt like something slipping a gear tooth (BANG) and I would continue on all OK, it's done this many times.

A new noise today sounded like the diff was out of oil or a wheel bearing had gone out with no warning. After stopping at our staging area for my bud to load his bike and I to air-up, I started the short trip home (cautiously) in 4X2 and all was well for awhile but then the noise came back.
I pushed the 4X4 button and the noise stopped but came back in a few seconds, I shut off 4X4 and the noise stopped again for a few seconds, on and off a couple more times and all was good the rest of the way home.
I think it may have something to do with the electrical system for the 4X engagement ?

Do you have automatic locking hubs?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals