• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting from 2WD to 4WD

tmikeyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

This is my first post here, and as I've owned my Ranger for a couple of years, I have often considered converting its current 2WD drive status, to 4WD. I am not afraid to tackle the work, but have been uncertain as to exactly what parts are needed, short of actually buying a beaten tired 4WD truck and swapping the necessary drive train items to my truck. But I don't want to do that. I don't know how many of you are lucky enough to have one of theese salvage yards like we do here, where prices are cheap, you remove the parts from the vehicles yourself, and whether it be a Ferarri or a Yugo, or whatever, the same part from either vehicle has the same price. An 8 Cylinder Ford Engine would be the same price as an 8 Cylinder Jaguar, etc... Anyway, today I found a 1988 Ranger with all the 4WD stuff still intact underneath. My truck is a 1993 4.0 2WD. This truck has a 2.9l. Will the components from the 2.9l work with my 4.0, taking all into consideration, and what all do I need to remove from this donor truck to do a proper conversion? Thanks for any help.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking you would be wiser to go with what they call a "SAS" and not the factory style swap. That is, unless your not wanting an extreme ranger. Then, it is possible. Best get the whole truck too. Your gonna need it. As far as your transmission bolting up to the 2.9 trans, it will.... BUT internally it is different! It will not hold up to the 4.0.Also, if you find a later model Explorer, it will have the 4.0 and the stronger (laughing here) Dana 35 differential.

tmikeyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

Thanks for that first reply. Nope, I'm not looking for anything extreme at all. Although no, I don't want parts flying out from underneath. I had thought about the Explorer, but wondered if I wouldn't have to use shorter or wider axles or whatever. But as far as what I'm looking to build, just a good everyday driver, that I may give a mild lift to. I'm not going rock crawling, or trying to see how deep I can swamp it in mud. It just needs to have the added benefits of 4WD and not fall apart. And the parts need to work together.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
+1 on the newer ranger or explorer for parts. that way you have a whole vehicle to grab your parts from. just so you don't go back to the yard and the part you need is gone or it has been crushed.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well then TMI, looks like you should be looking for an Explorer from your model year. This isn't an easy swap by any means. Hardest part will be swapping the engine cross member. That part is physically different from a 2wd to a 4wd. From what I understand, you have to remove both radiator core support mounts and spread the frame rails apart to get the old one out and the new in. The computer is the same from 2wd to 4wd... so there will be no issues there. You will also have to swap the radius arm member, the rear drive shaft, transmission and transfer case and all the related suspension components too. The front coil springs are the same from 2wd to 4wd. Hope this gives you some idea for what you are up against.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals