• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Subwoofers

Aaron11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need help with choosing and if i am able to put subs in my truck. I have a 1997 ford ranger regular cab. I have been looking around online and there is not much. I would like something that is decent for my first set. Should i get one or two and how do you know how big of a amp. If some one could help me out i would appreciate it. Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you can put subwoofers in anything, your only limitation is your pocket book.

size, number, and type of sub all depends on how much your willing to spend, how much space your willing to sacrifice, and what kind of sound your going for.

spend a few hours on this site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Tab/Learn.aspx

and get back to us if you have any more questions.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i have a 2000 regular cab. using .5" mdf to build a wedge box, i was only able to use a sub with a mounting depth of 4.5" or less. i chose a elemental designs 9kv.2. if i were to do it again id use one of memphis audios s class subs. theyre 10" is 2.8" deep and theyre 12" is 3" deep. theres no way i could mount an amp under the seats so it also had to go behind the seats.

so if i were you id first see if theres room underneath the seats to mount an amp. next, are you going to use the amp to power just your subs or your whole system? then measure out the room your willing to give up behind the seats. make sure to take into account space for an amp if it doesnt fit under the seats. so pretty much you have to plan your layout to see what will fit.

Aaron11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay i like the idea of the memphis audio s class subs. Looks like a good sub for what i am looking for with the space i have and i looked around and it has good ratings. Do you know of any amps that would go good with one 12 and i only want to use the amp to power my sub. thanks for the help!

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well if your talking about the memphis s class 12 then you would want to try the subs rms wattage, which is 500. so id look in the 300-500 watts range. oh and if you get the single 4ohm voice coil model, you can only run it at 4ohms. if you get the dual 4 ohm voice coil model you can run it at 2 ohms or 8 ohms. id get the dual 4ohm model.

heres a few suggestions

alpine mrp-m500
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6249
300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

kenwood kac-8104d
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6401
500 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

mtx tc3001 << just in case you need to fit something small
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3978
300 Watts x 1 Channel: 2ohms
150 Watts x 1 Channel: 4ohms

pioneer gm-d7400m
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6467
4 ohm: 250W x 1
2 ohm: 400W x 1

all of these amps will work with that s class sub, whether you choose the 10 or the 12. id go with the alpine, but the decision is yours. i know the reccomend 8 gauge wiring kits, but id go with 4 gauge with an amp over 400 watts. good luck.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya i just put a sub in my 94 mazda b3000 st cab but i put 6 x9 speakers in wedge boxes behind my seats an one TI 10" sub in a custom wedge box between the seats but i got bucket seats an a small cener console if you want pics just let me kno an i also mounted my amp on the wall behind the drivers seat. but as far as buyin an amp for ur sub i would go to a audio store an get them to give you the proper size amp cuz if you dont get it right it will just sound like junk or good but not as good as it would be with the prope amp.

AJ2012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
i would put a pioneer shallow mount 10" or 12" with a small ported box behind your seatand a 1200-watt amp under your seat

th31d10t

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I have two 10" Alpine type S subs (duals 4s) behind my 60/40. I think I only lost about one notch on my seat. You can also go with JL W1 they are shallow as well. I am only pushing about 160 Watts to each sub and they are more than loud enough. If you decide to build your own speaker box though make sure you use 3/4" MDF. It is what majority of your prefab boxes are made out of. If you want some pics PM me. I have not completed all the finishing touches on my box to make it look good but if works and sounds good.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you dont have to use 3/4"mdf if your not going to feed your subs a ton of power. 1/2" will be fine as long as you use some support braces inside to prevent flexing. i have 150w going to an 8" sun using 1/2 and its fine.

Clay_95Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want good subs thatll last a long time i have always run Audiobahn they have been the best subs ive have ever bought...i like my music loud so they are always cranked if you get Audiobahn you will not be disspointed Audiobahn.com

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
audiobahn is going out of business. theyve pretty much been out of business for a while, but they officially announced it. i personally wouldnt use their products.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals