• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emergency clutch question.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
how do you tell if it is a bad slave or a bad master? my brand new clutch quit disengaging so I figured it just needed to be adjusted. I crawled under it and the rod had 2" of play (1.5" too much) so I adjusted that out to 1/2"(where it is supposed to be). I could get it in and out of gear but it was trying to move. I took all the play out and put the spring (goes from lever to slave cyl) back on and now it goes in and out of gear but the clutch slips when you romp on the gas pedal and it quits going in and out of gear after driving a bit. If I pump the clutch pedal a few times (like when your brakes have air in them) then it shifts fine. If I double clutch it shifts alright but not good. the lever does not move very far (about 1/2" - 3/4"). The adjust nut is about 1.5" long and the rod is now only 3/4" into it. it is supposed to have (according to my toyota Chassis manual) flush at max adjustment)

I went to bleed the system and there does not appear to be any air in it and does not appear to have any leaks around the slave or the master but it must be getting air somewhere.

the only 4 things I can think of:
1) bad slave
2) bad master
3) bad line/hose
4) the rod is too short

common sense tells me to replace all but my wallet tells me I need to trouble shoot.

any ideas on anything I am missing or how to tell which one is bad?

FYI: this is for the LandCruiser

I posted the same question on mud and didn't get a response yet.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
sounds like air in the lines to me. i wonder if this is the same case as the rangers, where the master traps air in it if its bolted to the firewall.

im assuming this is an external slave cylinder since it has an adjustable pushrod.... did you notice any leaks while you were under there? also check inside the cab around the master cylinder pushrod. wheres the fluid level at?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
sounds like air in the lines to me. i wonder if this is the same case as the rangers, where the master traps air in it if its bolted to the firewall.

im assuming this is an external slave cylinder since it has an adjustable pushrod.... did you notice any leaks while you were under there? also check inside the cab around the master cylinder pushrod. wheres the fluid level at?

Fluid level is full. slave is external, had to unbolt it from the bell housing to get the rod out to measure it and break the jam nut loose. hoses are dry, slave is dry, master is dry. no detectable leaks around the push rod.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
weird...maybe try bench bleeding the system. ill bet theres some special trick to bleeding that system that only land cruiser enthusiasts know :rolleyes:

you said this is a brand new clutch...has the system worked properly since you installed the new clutch (ive seen more than one clutch disk installed backwards)?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
yeah it worked fine till this afternoon, felt like a disc being broken in. I had 1 problem where I had to take the spring off because it was not disengaging, but I have put 150 miles on it since the clutch went in and this is the first of this. I got an answer on Ih8mud, my rod is from an FJ40 and to short and my hose is swollen and permeating air. going to bite the bullet and get all new parts from specter off road..... they only use Toyota parts and are about 20% less than getting them from Toyota ......... comparable in price to Autozone and that includes a 1 piece steal braided hose instead of the 2 piece metal and rubber hose.

I can view the disc with the inspection cover removed..... how do you tell if it is in backwards?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you really cant tell after the transmission is in. most clutch discs have "flywheel side" stamped on them somewhere. sometimes the discs are so close to symetrical that they will function when installed backwards, though usually not well.

sounds like its in the hydraulic system though. i think your doing the right thing by replacing everything. hydraulic clutch systems are just such a PITA, id rather just throw all new parts in it and be done with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals